My Z32

Russ

Club Member
Hey,

Haven't had time to do this post, but for a couple months now I've had a Z32. I bought it about three days before the Gurston Hill Climb School and used it for that.

IMG_0061.jpg

I bought it from scrawni on the 300zx forums. It's a jap import, '93 manual tt. There's a thousand little jobs to do on it and I've got a fair few questions so I'll post these here.

So far only complaint is that it's thirsty (about 18mpg or something usually), so I've taken to riding my motorbike to work lol. Could do with a bit more boost as well I think :devil:

• Ok firstly, my turbo timer has lost the plot, and my rev speed meter revs are reading about 500rpm to high compared to my tacho. I'm sure it's not idling at 2krpm? Any ideas? I'm going to resolder all the wiring and make sure its all good still see if that fixes it.
  • I need my steering wheel retrimmed, any recomendations?
  • I've an oil leak down the back of the engine somewhere, nothing major, any common faults?
  • I've got red stuff pads at the front which need changing, I'm thinking of getting the discs skimmed unless I can pick up some nice ones cheap enough. What pads would people recommend and I didn't like the red stuff. Mintex?
  • I seem to have some slack in the drivetrain somewhere. When I accelerate on and off there is a bit of a knock from the back. I've got the car on the ramp and you can rotate the propshaft a bit where it seems to take up some slack in the diff. There's no vibrations at speed or anything.
  • My suspension seems pretty hard and a bit crap on the motorway, my omega is much more stable at speed :) Are my springs tired maybe? Or dampers? Or is it mostly because I have poly bushes? Seeing as the car is good for silly speeds at the moment I can't imagine it'd be that safe lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russ said:
Hey,

So far only complaint is that it's thirsty (about 18mpg or something usually)Could do with a bit more boost as well I think :devil:
So that you can complain some more about the fuel consumption......?:conf2:

SeanDezart said:
So that you can complain some more about the fuel consumption......?:conf2:

I didn't say I was wasting the money, more that it'd be nice if it'd do 35mpg on the motorway :)

I've got red stuff pads at the front which need changing, I'm thinking of getting the discs skimmed unless I can pick up some nice ones cheap enough.

You are not "thinking" at all .IMO.
You now own a 1500kg 300BHP supercar.
Skimming worn discs is just downright dangerous:eek:
As is the motion of fitting "cheap" ones.:(

I saw some EBC drilled and groved discs for £65 new, that's what I meant by cheap.

My discs are practically new but one side is a bit scored so I thought I might try and take a little bit of it off. Guess not.

It's not that fast either :)

What sort of oil pressure should I be seeing when driving around normally?

Most times when I first start the car it chirps a bit when I put it into second, but having driven a while it doesn't seem to be a problem. Clutch pedal feels ok but it's as if it's not quite working enough when you first start off.

Russ said:
Hey,

Haven't had time to do this post, but for a couple months now I've had a Z32. I bought it about three days before the Gurston Hill Climb School and used it for that.

IMG_0061.jpg

I bought it from scrawni on the 300zx forums. It's a jap import, '93 manual tt. There's a thousand little jobs to do on it and I've got a fair few questions so I'll post these here.

So far only complaint is that it's thirsty (about 18mpg or something usually), so I've taken to riding my motorbike to work lol. Could do with a bit more boost as well I think :devil:
The car is called Audrey, Im not joking! :D

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=96240

Lovely car mate, I just sold mine. It takes a few months to work through all the little jobs but when you do theres nothing like it on the road. Take it on a long drive abroad. JUST DO IT!!
6.JPG

1.JPG

• My suspension seems pretty hard and a bit crap on the motorway, my omega is much more stable at speed :) Are my springs tired maybe? Or dampers? Or is it mostly because I have poly bushes? Seeing as the car is good for silly speeds at the moment I can't imagine it'd be that safe lol.

Does it feel like your back end is skipping? Could be hicas joints

Not really... thinking about it it's hard to tell. But I will give that a check thanks.

I also have a heavily water logged spoiler which I don't think is helping :)

My current problem is understanding the manual over at 300zx.co.uk to do the diagnostics on my windscreen demister. I've gotten it in to diagnostics mode but get a bit lost from there :)

Back