My project...

farstar

Well-Known Forum User
Ladies and Gents, say hello to my project!

She is a late 260z...

www.260z.co.uk/images
(scroll to the bottom for nearly complete shots)

I can't take the credit for this one as the previous owner did the majority of the work that you can see over a period of 11 years with unbridled dedication and enthusiasm. He lost heart (and an ultimatum from wifey) and sold the unfinished car to me and thankfully, it is nearing completion. :rofl:

Every nut and bolt has been replaced and where replacement was not possible, blasted/cleaned and plated. There are too many new parts to list but she is a nut and bolt resto with a recorded mileage of 22k. There are bits of bodywork that could be neater but they will be addressed later.

Everything is near enough stock apart from the full Janspeed exhaust system. Due to its history and engine rebuild, I'm trying to resist the temptation of an engine change. I had her on a gas tester at my local garage and they could not believe how low the emissions were, 297ppm/2.5% HC (remarkable as 4.5% is the failure threshold!)

What do you guys recommend in order to give her a little more oomph?

:bow: I bow down in awe at the serious amounts of Z knowledge you guys have!

Nice Z.

If you don't want to tamper with the engine then perhaps fit a lower ratio diff, that's if you don't mind being in high revs on the motorway.

Another option is to fit the round top SU Carbs instead of the ones on there.

Unless you enjoy tinkering, I say enjoy the ride and leave her be. Once you start tinkering you may find you never stop!! :)

Cheers chaps!

I have a 2+2 that has a 280z (N42 head) engine, 240z SU's that goes well...she's feeling a tad neglected at present :confused:

I was thinking about an uprated cam kit, not sure what or how or even if the gain will be worth it...?

Any other suggestions? What sort of hp would SU's, SM needles, Janspeed exhaust, elecy ignition, give you on a 260 engine? Would the cam help things along? Any other suggestions?

With regards the diff, any suggestions? She's got a REALLY lazy 3.36 that I bought off ebay a while back as the one on the car seized (no oil :smash:)

Crazy to think that this car has not been driven in decades!

Cheers

If you are looking for a little more oomph I would swap out the 3.36 and replace with a 3.9, don't forget to change the cog in the gearbox or your speedo will be out.

I think that before a fast road cam will be worth it, you would firstly need your head ported and polished. You could then consider swapping the SU's for triple webbers or dellortos. Not the route I've taken so hopefully someone with more know how will chime in.

When you say Janspeed exhaust do you mean manifold? That is not a bad upgrade and would go well with the mods I mentioned.

I'd say that unless you're desperate to change anything to just drive it and drive it and love it. It looks fab and they are so nimble to start with I think you should just stick with her as is. There'll be plenty of time for mods next autumn when you think about putting her in for hibernation if you're after more bang. 'Til then, take her out and let her loose.

If you're really bored quickly with the power (or the delivery of such) don't chuck the SUs for triples but go for head and cam work and end up with a nice 200 bhp with plenty of low down torque.
This will need a much better exhaust manifold and changing to a 3.7 or 3.9 diff would help too.

Cheers chaps!!!! :)

As the engine has already been rebuilt in recent years (but not used), I'll leave it be for the time being and put a few miles on her as she has stood for decades, before and during the rebuild.

The Janspeed header and exhaust will do for now, even the flat tops are working well...

...then, as Sean has suggested, IF THE PENNIES ALLOW, i'll have the 260z head worked and go for maybe a stage 2 cam kit with 240z SU's. The temptation to transplant the 2.8 from my 2+2 into the 2 seater is great but its being tempered by the fact that the car is a genuine low miler that is reasonably stock. I absolutely adore :bow:some of the Z's on here and would give my right arm to have one but at the same time, it never fails to put a smile on my face when I see a really nice, relatively original Z with just a few mods to make them move and stop a little better. I suppose there is also a little guilt factor - it would break Paul's heart if I binned the engine that he rebuilt in the car that he spent a decade doing up and the fact that it has only 22k on it.

People, I is liking forum very much :cheers:

This maybe a stupid idea but would it really destroy the wallet to consider boring the 2.6 out to 2.8?:p

Cheers chaps!!!! :)

As the engine has already been rebuilt in recent years (but not used), I'll leave it be for the time being and put a few miles on her as she has stood for decades, before and during the rebuild.

The Janspeed header and exhaust will do for now, even the flat tops are working well...

...then, as Sean has suggested, IF THE PENNIES ALLOW, i'll have the 260z head worked and go for maybe a stage 2 cam kit with 240z SU's. The temptation to transplant the 2.8 from my 2+2 into the 2 seater is great but its being tempered by the fact that the car is a genuine low miler that is reasonably stock. I absolutely adore :bow:some of the Z's on here and would give my right arm to have one but at the same time, it never fails to put a smile on my face when I see a really nice, relatively original Z with just a few mods to make them move and stop a little better. I suppose there is also a little guilt factor - it would break Paul's heart if I binned the engine that he rebuilt in the car that he spent a decade doing up and the fact that it has only 22k on it.

People, I is liking forum very much :cheers:

This maybe a stupid idea but would it really destroy the wallet to consider boring the 2.6 out to 2.8?:p

Thats a possibility. Will give you more compression too. Costs around £450 for the pistons + machine work + gasket set.

Back