My new spark plugs

Mr.G

Club Member
A good friend gave me all six brand new and in the box, for FREE!

Their NGK BP6ET, I had never seen such plugs before, they have 3 prongs instead of just 1.

Anyone have any experience with them before i fit them?

Attachments

• 115_1530.JPG
    115_1530.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 82
Hi George,

I didn't know you could get multi-electrode jobbies suitable for a Z.

If the powers that be say they're OK, let us know how you get on!

TL

Well according to my Haynes (junk) you don't need to gap plugs of that design. Marketed as Splitfire weren't they? The company lied saying they give two sparks and increase power.

They 'should' in my theory last longer though.

Interested to know how you get on.

Oi! I just noticed you have the same RC car as me! Expect mine is in much poorer condition! I paid £16 for it.

russ, you run a suzuki bandit dont ya? check out the correct plugs for the 600/1200,

I have used plugs like that in an Audi 100. All I can comment is that they last for ages without the gaps widening.

Russ, MrG240Z,

I used to have a summer job at the wholesaler for Splitfire - and I think they were a bit different - they still have a single electrode, but it has a groove or notch in it. My feeling was that it was a bit of a gimmick.

I also ran the triple electrode type of plugs in my old TA40 Celica for a few years back in the early nineties - never really felt that they did anything that different ... that said I don't ever remember taking 'em back out again and I must have covered about 90,000 miles in it since then ...

Seem to remember that you didn't bother gapping them too ...

Mike

Hi,
I think the idea is they last about three times longer then an ordinary plug....But that's about all the difference!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Aircraft !

Hi guys that is an aircraft / outboard marine plug ! They work just fine in automotive use,,,they are more expensive but will outlast everything on the planet (including the planet) They are used on piston driven aircraft just for the reliability issues! :D

Oh, and just remembered, they need extra in the current department ! Not that you need to run out and buy a new MSD coil but if your electrics are lacking in anyway they will let you know about it by not letting your car run! ie, they have a little extra resistance so need a well maintained ignition system. If so they will work very well.

I have tried these in the race car. Can't say they made any difference, but like Rob I did notice they lasted a long time..

I have twin electrode plugs in the Omega, and the ones I took out (apart from being of perfect colour, thank you ECU and EFI) they didn't really warrant replacing in my eyes, that was after 40k.

Haven't had the plugs out of my bandit yet mate (another 600 miles to 8k service) but I'll have a look then :)

I have used these before,expensive & supposed to offer more spark efficiency
No apparent difference, Possibly lasted longer, God knows where they went?
I dont remember removing them,but they have gone! DJZ 60.:cool:

I too think the splitfires had one electrode but it had a "V"-shaped groove in the end.

I think it's all about sharp edges propagating a spark. The more edges the longer they take to wear down and hence you get better sparks for longer. Also, I suppose you've got a better chance of that spark being in the optimal position in the cylinder to aid combustion.

I have just replaced the plugs in my Cavalier SRI that had twin prongs. From what I can gather they are the originals which had done about 80k. The only reason I changed them was a recurring running problem and I am eliminating options in an effort to cure it. Problem is still there so I assume the plugs were ok. When I questioned a mechanic he told me the design wasn't to improve performance just to ensure a spark each time without having to remove then and adjust them over time.

They are meant to give you a more powerful / longer spark and a better burn and hence more power. Question this. Used to use v-grooved Bosch ones in my Cooper. They worked fine.
As long as they do not run too hot for your engine they should be ok.

Have fun!

As Rob Gaskin says he had them in his Audi, its a standard plug for lots of VAG motors.
Adrian

Im sure Caratacus Potts, ran Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on these plugs, which resulted in more thrust and LIFT, so pack your parachute MrG.:D

Don.

Back