My Dori Datsun project, a Z at heart

drive-by

New Forum User
Hello, I didn't know whether to post this in this section or the Hybrid section. I just thought I better introduce myself and my car. Although not actually a Z until you see under the skin my '74 Datsun Laurel is getting the heart of a 260z geargox and L28 engine. I hope to learn alot about tuning and parts for the 70's Z's from you guys.

New season and yet another new project.
I'm Chris and I run a show team on the tuning scene called Drive-By.
I've been after a Lauel since I fell in love with some pictures of an SGX RatDat on the Driftworks forums posted in a thread about old skool Japanese cars.
I 'm sure you guys and girls know its hard to find a sturdy example of any classic Datsun and an SGX is rocking horse manure to find.
So when I found this c130 on ebay I had to snap her up. I'm sure the car will be known to a few of you and I hope I don't upset too many purists with my plans for her.
As I said I fell in love with pics of and SGX and here it is
a726975395.jpg

a72697539.jpg

have you ever seen a finer rear end :wink:
And here is the 200L I bought
Laurel1lrg.jpg

laurel2lrg.jpg

I don't intend to plaster bad taste all over her at all, rather I'm hoping to create something closer to a classic hot rod japanese style. Using period or retro modifications and tuning. I love the Boso-Zuka styled wangan and dori machines in Japan and that's what I am looking to emulate.
I found the same wheels as on the black SGX for sale on Drifworks, classic SSR Mk 3's and hopefully these should go along way to complete the look.
DSCN0113rdc.jpg

First trial fit of the rims, they fit fine and no problems on lock but that might change when she's dropped. Could do with a lower profile on the rears too.
DSCN0179crop.jpg

DSCN0186crop.jpg

DSCN0187crop.jpg

At last starting to fill some holes
DSCN0472rdcnewmetal.jpg

DSCN0475rdc.jpg

DSCN0476rdc.jpg

DSCN0477rdc.jpg

Humble beginings

With your help I hope to understand the Z's better and end up looking like this in the not to far future
041321.jpg

them chrome wheels look like my old ones i used to have !!!!! even the tyres look the same

Keep us up to date.
I too am into old Datsuns, and used to work on the old models like yours, even a President owned by my boss! I would love a KPGC10 Skyline :p .
Mail me for any info, I have built loads of modded engines.
Mark.

Thanks for the enthusiastic welcome and kind words guys. I had hoped to have her out and about this season but I've decided I'm better doing it right or not at all so its gonna be a bare metal ground up over the next few months and hopefully try and sneak into a few meats next year as well as the shows.

The laurels and skylines seem to share alot with the Z's, some of the later coupes in my shape even came with the L28 in japan as a limited edition. I just wish my 4 door had the IRS of the Z and Coupe.

Back