More Help required

300zxwannabee

Forum User
Hi Guys

I picked up my Z (300ZX fairlady) yesterday. She’s beautiful. Pictures to come.

There are a few small things I want to ask though.

1) The most important thing is that the speedo isn’t right. When my speedo shows 40mph I’m actually going about 50mph and it get worse as I go up in speed. As it was an import I’m guessing that it was in Km, but the dial now shows mph with km on the inside. Do you think this has anything to do with it?
2) I can’t get cruise control to work above 55ish mph. But given the problem in 1) I’m probable driving at about 70mph.
3) After a very long run, there appeared to be a leak from the very front on the right hand side. When I opened the bonnet I couldn’t see anything, but I did notice that the aircon is on this side. Is it just that leaking? Bearing in mind that I didn’t have the aircon on during the drive.

Will I think that is it for now. He he he

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

Just wondering, when you purchased your 300ZX...Did the last owner give you the booklet entitled SO YOU'VE GONE AND RUINED YOUR LIFE.

I had a 3oozx, which i owned for 2 years, during that time the b4stard emptied every bank and savings account i had...I'm now recovering from my 300zx experience, and reside in the HAPPY SPANNERS MENTAL INSTITUTE located in the heart of cheshire.

I had, ammong other problems, Water leaks and faults on the speedo.. I found that a good hard thump to the top of dash pod cured my problems with the speedo. And carrying twelve 2ltr water bottles in the boot. Helped with the all so common leaks caused by the the fact that the two turbos, which run at twice the temperature of the suns surface. baked all wires and hoses under the bonnet. Causing lots of expensive repairs.

My advice to you is this.....Sell this peice if Sh1t and get yourself a nice 240 or 260 zed. and you'll save yourself trucks loads of money..Its no good having a car. That you only look good in sitting in your drive.

I'll reserve your room at the nut house...

Col ( former 300zx owner )

1. Possibly incorrect Speedo convertor fitted by importer. Zcentre can supply correct.

2. Cruise only works up to 68mph on Jap Imports. Check out 300zx.org.uk for resistor trick to Cruise Control ECU

3. Sounds like Aircon condensation. Its supposed to do that, but double check it, and if in doubt take it to garage to check.
freestyle_col said:
Hi Spencer,

Just wondering, when you purchased your 300ZX...Did the last owner give you the booklet entitled SO YOU'VE GONE AND RUINED YOUR LIFE.

I had a 3oozx, which i owned for 2 years, during that time the b4stard emptied every bank and savings account i had...I'm now recovering from my 300zx experience, and reside in the HAPPY SPANNERS MENTAL INSTITUTE located in the heart of cheshire.

I had, ammong other problems, Water leaks and faults on the speedo.. I found that a good hard thump to the top of dash pod cured my problems with the speedo. And carrying twelve 2ltr water bottles in the boot. Helped with the all so common leaks caused by the the fact that the two turbos, which run at twice the temperature of the suns surface. baked all wires and hoses under the bonnet. Causing lots of expensive repairs.

My advice to you is this.....Sell this peice if Sh1t and get yourself a nice 240 or 260 zed. and you'll save yourself trucks loads of money..Its no good having a car. That you only look good in sitting in your drive.

I'll reserve your room at the nut house...

Col ( former 300zx owner )
LOL oh dear :conf2:

Sorry you had a bad experience, you clearly purchased a bad example and are still feeling sore over it, hardly fair to take out your issues on all Z32's and on this guys Help thread. :unsure: Criticising the Z32 here is one sure way to lose friends quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sure encourages 300ZX owners to join in here or even revisit here:eek:

To me the trouble with this club is that it is slowly falling into the very snobby classic club niche the club was fighting against when I joined 18 years ago:conf2:

We are meant to be promoting the policy of "One Club, All the Cars" and encourage pride of ownership to each of the marque:bow:

Is it any wonder that even though we manage to attract the 300 and 350 to register here, and quite a few to become paid up members, that after a few posts they revert back to thier relevant forums and don't rejoin the club because of the unfeeling attitude towards thier preference of motors

Sorry for going off topic and rant

COME ON GUYS 300zxwannabee ASKED FOR HELP ANY MORE 300 OWNERS OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP

For me I prefer the 280ZX but would never discourage anyone to own any of the Fairlady range

I dispute the cruise only works up to 68mph. Mine is an import and works fine well over that limit. I usually set at 80mph on motorways without a problem. I have set it at 90mph without problems as well. With regard to waterleaks, the biggest cause will obviously be hose leaks as they do tend to get cooked by the high engine heat. When I first bought my car, it use to lose water and it always seem to drip on the nearside. I thought it may have been the water top up bottle, but it turned out to be the water pump.(no big job). Since that was changed about 9 months ago I have only used about half a pint of water in about 6000 miles of use, mostly going on long distances i.e, to Southampton and to Derby. It is important to sort any water leak out before taking the car very far. If the engine gets cooked, your are in big trouble. Thats when it empties your wallet. If you are into your own maintenance, patience is the essential element as some items are pretty difficult to get to, and work on. Perseverence is a good attitude as well. When they are going right they are pure joy. I love 'em even tho' mine seems only to like Optimax petrol which is now a bit pricey, but it does give supercar performance.

COME ON GUYS 300zxwannabee ASKED FOR HELP ANY MORE 300 OWNERS OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP

looking at Legrath's reply I dont think any other help or info is neccessary until the very valid and IMHO correct reply by him is fully checked out

David/Legrath is one of Britains most helpful and informative 300ZX owners.
Let Mr wanabee follow that first round of advice and if no joy then Im sure someone else will have something to say.

Quite agree with the comments made re Freestyle Cols post.
Try helping fellow car owners mate not dissin their choice of car.

Did I fart in Church

Hi All,

I refer to my previous post, I dont think that the Z32 is a bad car, it just as a long list of common faults.

Im sure that after 12 months of ownership of his new car 300zxwannabe will understand the point i'm trying to make about the 300zx and is failing bank account.

I loved owning my pearl 3oo zed tt, it turned more heads than anyother car ive owned.....For style its No1 but reliabilty scores a poor 10.I decided to sell mine and purchase a 260...it wont turn as many heads...But its
a piece of pi55 2 work on....if I ever need to.

I've made some great freinds since joining zclub, owners of 240s 260s and 300zx models. So I think your talking out of your Ar5e Steve Burns when you say this club becoming a
very snobby classic club niche....

See the pictures of the cheshire plainz club meet at Gawsworth Hall posted today. There was a good turn out of all models...And there was great interaction between all the members regardless of the modelof car they where driving.

If your still unsure you could just look at 3oozx.co.uk help and advise page on there site, to view a few of the
small problems you can experience owning a Z32. The following are recent posts.

We have Brooklanders25 with a flooding car
Stevemochan with a tinkling sound from his plenum area
Stellaz with suspected MAF problems
Boldy with turbo seal or pcv probs
Doorslammer1968 with cold start problems
JH5555 with auto gear box stuck in third
YamR6 with a stalling car
FunkySi with a car he can not lock
MarcZ32 with sloppy steering
DGM with an idle problem
B8 XXL with turbo problems
krsmayo with a dead car
kamikaze with safety boost problems
Dab1 with O2 sensor/ecu fault
Mark Fox with his smoking car
Alex300 with his dodgy gearbox

If you still require some help with the problems on you zed wannabe.....You would not go far wrong by giving my mate
Dave at Petrolheads a call...Or C&S woods in leigh. I found both to be a great help with both advice and repairs when I had my Z32

Cheers Freestyle_col ( signed up member of The Happy Spanners Mental Institute )

P.s Legrath if you want make freinds, join a swingers club.

Zoomer said:
I dispute the cruise only works up to 68mph. Mine is an import and works fine well over that limit. I usually set at 80mph on motorways without a problem. I have set it at 90mph without problems as well. ....
Yes, dependent on the MPH convertor fitted, cruise can work at higher speeds. This is becuase the Cruise control ECU is still reading the Speed signal in KPH.....(110kph cruise control limit, becomes 110mph cruise control limit)

freestyle_col said:
If your still unsure you could just look at 3oozx.co.uk help and advise page on there site, to view a few of the
small problems you can experience owning a Z32. The following are recent posts.
Its part of what the forums are for, and its the same for every car forum!

You dont get Owners posting on a regular basis about how today they dont have any problems. ;)

Just like any High performance car of its type, maintenance/servicing is critical. You buy a bad example it will cost you a fortune.

pmac said:
David/Legrath is one of Britains most helpful and informative 300ZX owners.
:eek: Thanks Pete :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
freestyle_col said:

I loved owning my pearl 3oo zed tt, it turned more heads than anyother car ive owned.....For style its No1 but reliabilty scores a poor 10.I decided to sell mine and purchase a 260

I trust your 260Z is rust free then ?

If it makes you feel any better I'm basically having to replace every piece of rubber, anything that wasn't perfectly undercoated, and a few thousand quid of other parts just to get an MOT. A leak here or there or some electrical niggles would be very welcome in exchange :)

the expansion tank empties water from the right front of the car just infront the wheel if there is too much in it. its when it leaks from the back u need to worry.
Speedo problems seem to happen quite a bit,but from description i would say somebody has just fitted the wrong speedo face on your car. Basically there is 3 option on an imports with speedo conversion.
1. installing UK spec Speedo (turbo guage will run from -14 to +14 rather than -7 to plus 7
2. Converter device (There will be an MPH sticker over where it did day KPMH and will only read in 1 scale)
3 Replacement speedo face (speedo will only read upto 120 mph)
1 and 3 are the best option 3 being the cheapest.

Cruise controll will only run upto 68 as legrath said on a non converted J spec car. Mine does.

Which one of 1-3 describes your speedo set up?

300zxmarcus said:
the expansion tank empties water from the right front of the car just infront the wheel if there is too much in it. its when it leaks from the back u need to worry.
Speedo problems seem to happen quite a bit,but from description i would say somebody has just fitted the wrong speedo face on your car. Basically there is 3 option on an imports with speedo conversion.
1. installing UK spec Speedo (turbo guage will run from -14 to +14 rather than -7 to plus 7
2. Converter device (There will be an MPH sticker over where it did day KPMH and will only read in 1 scale)
3 Replacement speedo face (speedo will only read upto 120 mph)
1 and 3 are the best option 3 being the cheapest.

Cruise controll will only run upto 68 as legrath said on a non converted J spec car. Mine does.

Which one of 1-3 describes your speedo set up?

Hi

I'm sure that the speedo only goes up to 100mph, but it could have been 120mph.

freestyle_col said:
Hi All,
If your still unsure you could just look at 3oozx.co.uk help and advise page on there site,

there is enough helpfull advice on here, we dont need to point people away, jeez these are simple questions.

300zxwannabee said:
Hi

I'm sure that the speedo only goes up to 100mph, but it could have been 120mph.

Without looking i think the following has happened.

Somebody has installed a new face which goes upto 120 mph (100 being the last printed figure but there are 2 dashes after). the have refitted the needle wrong so either its buggered ot its rubbing on the face thus throwing it out.

Freestyle take a chill pill dude just because your z32 sucked balls does not mean the rest of them do mine is cool and the gang no problems at all yes i have spent some money on it more on making it look how i want but so what i have not had a single engine problem not one it starts it drives its great

This is Jimijitsu's Z32 personified then

Attachments

• Kool-&-The-Gang-2.jpg
    Kool-&-The-Gang-2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 10
Back