mechanical fuel pump differences between 240/260z?

abas

Well-Known Forum User
I'm having problems getting my 240z to pump any fuel. Engine is a 260z and a known good 240z fuel pump is fitted( hand tested it sucks and blows nicely), however when on the car it refuses to pump any fuel. Is there a difference between 240z and 260z pumps? I have to say the actuation arm does look very slightly different on the knackered 260z pump that I have

thanks for any help

Andrew

No differences.
Did you fit the "new" pump to remedy a previous lack of fuel? Could be you've got a problem in the fuel lines or the tank. Z tanks are known to crud up and block the oulet after 30 years odd.

thanks for the reply Nigel

its sourcing its fuel from a jam jar at the moment as fuel tank is not connected at present. Is there any reason why this won't work. Does it need the return line connected as well to work? I can't see why it would

many thanks

Andrew

try the pump with out being fitted to the fuel rail if it still does not work the problem must be with the pump then,i had one which had a bit of crap stopping the valve from closing to create suction,or the diaphram might be worn.try another fuel pump and make sure the lines the fuel goes through is clear at both ends

drive lobe

abas said:
I'm having problems getting my 240z to pump any fuel. Engine is a 260z and a known good 240z fuel pump is fitted( hand tested it sucks and blows nicely), however when on the car it refuses to pump any fuel. Is there a difference between 240z and 260z pumps? I have to say the actuation arm does look very slightly different on the knackered 260z pump that I have

thanks for any help

Andrew

Stupid question but is it your engine? if not has the cam shaft drive lobe been removed by others unknown say when using an electric pump, my cam has not got the mech pump drive lobe installed as i run 2 electric pumps, just a thought:)

Nige

evtech said:
Stupid question but is it your engine? if not has the cam shaft drive lobe been removed by others unknown say when using an electric pump, my cam has not got the mech pump drive lobe installed as i run 2 electric pumps, just a thought:)

Nige
A good point that but having said that, I didn't take my lobe off when fitting 280 inj on my 260.

Back