Institute of Advanced Motorists. Info?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Chaps,

Is anybody here a member or have any involvement or info? I was looking into it the other day. I like the idea but not sure if it's for me. What do you think the benefits of it would/could be? The courses they run don't seem to be stupidly expensive and it might be fun.

Matt

status

Well-Known Forum User
If it's to make your insurance cheaper then it doesn't make any difference,I done my HGV and car advance driving test,they do let you part with a yearly fee for the monthly magazine you get,that's it really,I done it for me so that is all that counts if you know wot I mean,if you learn 1 thing the it's worth it

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, I know that for me the insurance saving would be exactly £2.31. Lol. I think I just like the idea of it more than anything else. I too have all license quals up to C+E and even tracked vehicles but it's hard to see past the propaganda with most 'Institutions'. If you know what I mean.

Arkwright

Inactive
It's 40 years since I was in the IAM and I found the membership very keen and enthusiastic. They used to use the Police manual of advanced driving as a base for their courses. (I was a grade 1 police advanced driver for over 20 years). I am sure you will find the instruction very informative but I'm not sure how far it goes now what with speed cameras etc round every corner. Have a go and see if it's for you, your bound to learn something.

status

Well-Known Forum User
It was a policeman who was on the quick response cars that took me for my test,i didn't have any lessons as i couldnt find anyone that gave advance car driving lessons so just went for it,as i said before if you learn 1 thing then its worth it especially with all the rubbish that call themselves drivers that are out there,i dont have my hgv any more due to a detached retina (total loss of sight in 1 eye)but i can still hold my own on the road,just got the zed how i wanted it to do some track days this year so bit dubious about doing any now, but shyte happens doesn't it