How much play in the prop shaft?

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Heyho and hi all,

..have been getting some knocking down below...ooer....jacked it up in the p*ssing rain...cant see anything obvious apart from the prop has 1/2" play (car in neutral) either way....normal?

Ta Si

Simon, when you say 1/2" either way I'm assuming you mean 1/2" TOTAL, i.e. 1/4" either way. If so then it's a lot, but probably quite common on Zs, mines about that I think! But it should be the diff play and not play in the joints.

Is the knocking on the transmission or suspension? Does it knock on a smooth road?

Hi mate

The knocking / clunking is def the tranmission... no question.

I got me missus to sit in it and put thru the gears whilst I risked my life underneath...I found:

Neutral: 1/2" play either way
1st: hardly any
2nd: A little
3rd: " " "
4th: some
5th: 1/2" either way

...its a 'klunk' rather than a knocking....think its been there for a while but def. worse recently...I had a new clutch a couple of months back...BUT the noise seems to come from the mid to rear section of the car...

Si

When does this "klunk" occur? Does it happen when you change gear and does it happen on the over-run, ie when you decelerate? The transmission play you have isn't excessive. More likely to come from the diff, diff mounts, moustache bar mounts or even drive shafts. Do a spanner check on all these items. If it was the propshaft you're more than likely to get a vibration thro the car.

Cheers fellas'...

Think it was the exhaust bangin against the prob and vice versa!....

Hope its gone for good...

Ta again Si

Back