How many Fairlady Z's 2.0L are in the UK? JDM version

XYandZ

Forum User
Hello,

I was wondering how many people in the club have a Fairlady Z JDM 2+2? I have just imported mine from the States RHD (originally from Japan) and i am curious to know how many others there are in the UK.

Also mine is the 2.0l L20 engine, Is that unusual? There is a picture of my car on the front page of the website at the moment (very chuffed it won photo of the month, Thanks if you voted for it lol) I will put up a few more when i get a chance.

Feedback would be much appreciated,

Thanks Nick

richiep

Club Member
Hi Nick,

You've joined a fairly exclusive club as the answer is not many! Especially if you are talking about 2+2s.

Including two seaters and 2+2s, you're probably talking low double figures, although I'll defer to Albrecht if he pops in to the thread as he might have a better estimate (being the JDM guru that he is!). I have a 71' Fairlady Z-L, Albrecht has several of varying spec (including 2 HS30-H 240ZGs and a 432R replica), Moggy240 has a 74 2-seater. There's another HS30-H 240ZG owned by a woman called Jane. None of those are 2+2s. There's a 75 2-seater on eBay at the moment (pricey for its poor condition). I think someone in the Classic Z Register has a 2+2 though. There have been a few others mentioned on this forum over the years. So they are around!

Not sure many will still have L20s though. Mine had already had an L24 put in before I bought it (it had been "converted" into a UK-style 240Z - something I changed), but I swapped that for an L28. HP tends to be addictive, and swapping L-series engines is an easy upgrade...

Mr.F

Inactive
SEKZ meetings are at the Halfway House, Herongate for the next few months:
2nd. Feb
2nd March
6th April

Can't guarantee attendance of the car you want to see, but all are welcome to attend.

XYandZ

Forum User
Hi, thats great thanks for the Info!! I thought that there can't be that many about, I would love to see the other cars in the club!! Im definitely going to try and make it to some of the meets, im just in the process of registering it in the UK, so a month or so and it should be road legal.

Im with you on the increase in hp front, i havent had it long and im already looking forward to making some small upgrades.

I might need to speak to Albrecht as i need to identify the year it was made. It also said on the "Title" it was made in 1971? I thought the 2+2 didnt start until 1974-75?

And yes Z32bolt of course, when its registered I will let you know

Nick

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I might need to speak to Albrecht as i need to identify the year it was made. It also said on the "Title" it was made in 1971? I thought the 2+2 didnt start until 1974-75?

First 'GS30' models were produced in late 1973. If your chassis number is lower than 'GS30-000460' then it would have been made in 1973.

If you tell me the chassis number I can easily tell you what year it was made. The car itself will tell you more. Might be able to refine it down to the nearest month...

XYandZ

Forum User
Thats Great!! The VIN number is GS30 - 016934 so im guesing it is a late one then, If you could let me know that would be really great!! Many Thanks in advance Nick

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
'GS30-016934' would be 1975 build year, and quite likely between May and August I'd guess.

You can get closer to the actual month of manufacture by cross-referencing some of the component manufacturing and quality control stamp codes all over the car. We've discussed the subject several times here in the past. You might like to start with the ( white ) loom section tags on the wiring harness, or - if you are sure the car has its original engine block - the casting date code on the inlet/exhaust side of the block, down near the sump. Another good place to look is on the interior mirror ( you'll have to pop it off its mount to check that ).

z32bolt

Well-Known Forum User
That's fine mate mine is SORN at present anyway as you may expect, there will be plenty of z32 meets over the summer which I can keep you updated on if you would like.