Hero's from yesterday...........

ray100

Well-Known Forum User
Here's an interesting link Production car race 1975 - YouTube from 1975 at Foxhall Speedway Stadium in Ipswich. Anyone know who the driver of the Zed is,could he be a member on here? Remember that most of these cars would have only been a few years old and H&S hadn't been 'invented' then,lol.

Here's an interesting link Production car race 1975 - YouTube from 1975 at Foxhall Speedway Stadium in Ipswich. Anyone know who the driver of the Zed is,could he be a member on here? Remember that most of these cars would have only been a few years old and H&S hadn't been 'invented' then,lol.

Living in Ipswich at that time I was a regular at Foxhall stadium and the other 2 circuits within reach. Yarmouth and Wimbledon. I didnt drive as I had my rally mini then but I did the spanners and transport for someone else who ran a Spedeworth Hot Rod Mini prepped locally by Witchtune. Who also built my rally engines.
That concrete and iron girder femce was an absolute car killer.:eek:

Happy days and fond memories.:cheers:

Living in Ipswich at that time I was a regular at Foxhall stadium and the other 2 circuits within reach. Yarmouth and Wimbledon. I didnt drive as I had my rally mini then but I did the spanners and transport for someone else who ran a Spedeworth Hot Rod Mini prepped locally by Witchtune. Who also built my rally engines.
That concrete and iron girder femce was an absolute car killer.:eek:

Happy days and fond memories.:cheers:

I used to trundle up to Wimbledon for the bangers and stock car racing many many moons ago. Any idea if it's still running?

Convertable Mustang with no roll bar and no helmet? That guy was nuts! Also seriously pi@@ed off a few Minis, surprised someone didn't put him into the wall! We had similar races at Saugus speedway near to where I grew up, unlimited carnage for a fiver every saturday night. :)

What a wonderful time it must have been then without the health and safety brigade. A group of blokes enter there cars to see who is fastest nothing is said about bringing a convertible or even not having a helmet. I bet they all left with big smiles on there faces and must have been fun watching at the time oh well thats progress I think.

What a wonderful time it must have been then without the health and safety brigade. A group of blokes enter there cars to see who is fastest nothing is said about bringing a convertible or even not having a helmet. I bet they all left with big smiles on there faces and must have been fun watching at the time oh well thats progress I think.

Yeh it looks a good laugh but things could end up so differently. I admit H&S rules have gone too far in some cases but many lives will have been saved and serious injuries prevented. It's all good fun and a big laugh until someone gets hurt then the mood changes.

I've seen an F1 driver die needlessly in front of me and it changes your day. Too many were killed when I was a teenager. Also I've been to the Isle of Man for the TT races and enjoyed them but if I'd seen a rider killed I'd think differently. I've got more safety conscious as I've got older - I think that's natural.

The guy with the Mustang had a real fun time but if he had rolled it could have been so different. I've rolled a car and got away with it. My Dad turned an open-top car over with Mum and us three kids in it. No seat belts, flattened screen etc etc - we were so lucky.

When I started motorbike riding you didn't even have to wear a crash helmet - many riders fought against helmet laws! People need protecting from themselves, as long as it doesn't go too far.

Back