Help. What could I Xylan coat (Teflon type)

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hello chaps,

For those that have sen my alternator refurb thread, you'll see that I have access to a Xylan coating. It is very tough, almost friction free, hard wearing, can flex fairly well without breaking, resist petrols oils and chemicals and is heat resistant up to 285ºC. It is cured at 200ºC so can't be applied to anything that couldn't stand that heat. When cured it has a rather lovely satin black finish with a nice sort of sheen to it.

I am wondering what everyone thinks would be a good thing to have this coating. I just did a piece of the throttle linkage and I think it looks great. Plus, it would never require any lubricant so something that can be clean in the engine bay!! :thumbs: It has a CoF of 0.02

I'm hoping to make a list here so any suggestions welcome.

Here are two pics of the coated throttle linkage piece so you can see what it looks like:

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Think I'm going to do the rear light surround panel bits. I get tired of constantly cleaning them!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That's quite a fetish you have there Matt!

Does your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/partner (delete as appropriate) ever worry they would wake up one morning to find themselves coated!? Gold finger style! ;)

Ali K

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Haha, Maybe, I'm not sure my wife would survive the 200º in the oven! LOL!

I could probably take in work. If you like I could get a quote. I won't be able to do it for free if I start smashing through loads of stuff that's not mine.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
How about everything that contacts a bushing? It might help keep the dreaded squeaking at bay if you're using polyurethane bushings!

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
I suppose it could work. A while ago we had a contract using the paint on engine pistons. It must be pretty hardcore stuff if it can take that. lol. I had a thought today, I'm contemplating going black on chrome trim. Just contemplating. The bumpers would be quite cool wouldn't they.