Help! Hitachi carbs

cosworth415

Club Member
I have a really strong smell of fuel and engine runs dog rough, so removed the air filter which had a large amount of fuel in it, started the car and could see fuel pouring out of a tube inside the air intake of the rear carb, is there a way of curing this without stripping the carbs ?

It will be the valves that cut off supply to the float chamber or the floats aren't floating.

You need the tops off the carbs after it's run to see petrol level.

It will probably be the float on that carb. t's in the bowl on the side of the carb where the petrol goes in. The float raises as the fuel level goes up, until it closes the needle valve and stops the fuel flow.

Chances are you float is stuck down, or punctured

I had this problem and it was caused by the float having completely broken free from the arm that it's attached to.

Can this be done in car, they are the flat top type

Having messed about with mine a fair bit, I believe you can but it's super fiddly. I would personally recommend taking the carbs off (which will take you 20 mins tops) and working with them on a bench to avoid profanities being uttered and killing your back in the process.

You can also give the rest of the carbs a good clean while you are about it. They are seriously simple bits of kit to work on and satisfying. I found quite a lot of gunk and black stuff on the pistons of my carbs and they ran sooo much better once cleaned up.

See if you can source a gasket kit though as you may find your float chamber gaskets won't survive when you open up the float chambers (good practice regardless).

This may be a useful watch ...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhbFrNCJYY

Back