Headlight connectors

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Z gang.

I finally have little windows of time to get the Z out and play a little and pick up all those MUST do jobs to keep the car roadworthy (like wheel bearings) and should do jobs like final tinkering about with exhaust, carbs etc.

One job that I really need to do is to sort out my dodgy headlight round connectors under the bonnet that result in randomly self side selecting Auto-headlights!! It does look like a police car headlight flashing side to side sometimes! :( The connectors are pretty corroded and no amount of gentle filing did the trick last year. I think I will have to restore fully or replace them. In fact I also suspect the wiring at the crimping points too. It’s the only part of the wiring loom that when touched replicates this effect.

I would really like to keep the original connectors.

First question has anyone taken these items apart before and done this without breaking them?

Secondly does anyone have a set or a connector of this type they would like to sell me? The PO has chopped out one side and used totally unsealed connectors that don’t match the car or work properly.

Here’s a phot I nicked from Datsun Dave on FB.

f9fbcf76720778a88ec21877689a0bd6.jpg

The other option of course are Sumitomo round ones used on motorbikes but that’s my fall back.

Another fall back is to re-crest these using a mould, resin and some bullet connectors - but that’s just the bad effects project Binky has had on me of late!!

atomman

Club Member
found them ! they have been cut but are quite long ,

PM me over your address again and i will post them off to you next week

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_083846.jpg
    IMG_20200307_083846.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 29

Turn & Burn

Club Member
It should be possible to drop new pins into the old plugs. I’ve found these but not tried them yet. Website / catalogue is Car Builder Solutions...

A pin removal tool will get the old ones out... (I have done this successfully).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 401710FC-E2E8-4E9A-8DC6-CBFDDF95B428.png
    401710FC-E2E8-4E9A-8DC6-CBFDDF95B428.png
    634.1 KB · Views: 28

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Just another thought, I’ve only used this on copper wire that’s gone black and won’t take solder. Dip the connector in a vinegar / salt solution. (As much salt as the vinegar will take). Should take about 5mins.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thank you gents !! All great stuff. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Atomman - if you were a girl I may have kissed you! PM to follow.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I came across these which are Yazaki type connectors which look similar, although the pins are all the same size and may not be up the the spec you need. But if it is just the look you are after these may fit the bill.

My 1979 280zx used Yazaki connectors in the loom, although a different shape. I got mine from this site with no problems: https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-hi-1000/item/4p-wpk-ypc-f/

4p-wpk-ypc-f-amz-0.jpg
Wow! I hunted high and low for these, well done!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That’s awesome Ped! Thank you for sharing. If the original connectors don’t work out I now have a brilliant option.

I am trying to avoid the more modern looking connectors or bullet connectors as they just look out of place. Also the PO’s naked block connector just irks me!

You may know, I am running LED headlight bulbs which do an awesome job at night in the H4 headlamps. They use about 1/3 of the current on low and about 1/2 on full beam - it would be great to stop them flashing though ;)

Ped

Club Member
That’s awesome Ped! Thank you for sharing. If the original connectors don’t work out I now have a brilliant option.

Here is a UK supplier, I guess these will work out cheaper as it looks like they are sold as a complete set. They are even round! https://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Products/YAZ-4W-CONN

You could just buy new pins, clean up the bodies of the old ones then use the new rubber off these new ones. Dimensions are on the listing.

NB: Make sure the pins are spec'ed for the correct load.

It's like anything online; once you know what its called and what to search for, it easy to find. These Yazaki/YPC type of connectors were used on 1970s Kawasaki and Yamahas looms, and on Datsun looms (as I found out previously).

ypc_4pole.png

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You utter star!! Thank you. [emoji106][emoji106]

I will order some as backup anyway and as you say I may be able to repurpose the pins and rubber into the original.

I fired up the Z today to get into the garage and when I popped the bonnet, I noticed the square version looks identical to the voltage regulator connectors on my 260z.

As it happens it was sunny and at the very moment I walked away from the car a single 6ft square cloud passed over and p’ed all over the car!! :( At least it’s wasn’t a pigeon! ;)

Last edited: