Harness rules?

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the rules on mounting 3 point harnesses for road use.

I'm thinking of removing the rear seatbelts and using the top bolt from them to mount the top mount of the 3 points. It's right in the centre of the rear pillars on the Z31 so the angle is very small + I know it's a strong mount.

Would this be a legal option? :rolleyes:
More importantly, would it be safe? :confused:

Thanks,

hi the straps of the harness need to pull evenly on your body when strapped in. The rear straps I believe have to sit at an angle of no more than 45 degrees from the shoulderline and centrally behind the seat. Not sure on the layout of your car or where the seat belt fixings are but can assure you that you do not want to be using seat belts that are not fixed to solid mounts or are mounted in a way that puts an uneven force on your body if involved in an accident. If there is no fixing suitable then it may be possible to mount a 100mm square plate under the rear floor as far back as possible to use as a fixing point. I will check the blue book when i get home tommorrow night but I am sure that for motorsport the seat belt mounting plate is 100mm sqaure by 5mm thick with a standard seatbelt eyebolt fixed into it by either tapping a thread into the plate or welding a nut onto the underside of the plate. Let me check and I will let you know. hope this is of help ben

Nice how 'fat' is your brace?

Mines a thin jobbie & I was thinking it might not be strong enough.

I wouldn't like to rely on a normal strut brace. The rear mounts for my harness are on the rear strut brace but that is incorporated within the roll cage so is 38mm diameter 2.5mm thick steel tubing. I would strongly reccommend that you use the floor mounting method for secure mounting. If the rear strap mounts fail in an accident YOU are going out through the screen until the steering wheel stops you forward motion by making your chest concave thus rupturing any internal organs that the ribs and steering wheel can collect on the way. Sorry to be graphic but it's a mess when it happens and I am one of the people that have to clear that up and I would hate it to happen to a club member. Cheers ben.
ps give me a ring if you want more info on harness mounting. 07789863990

Would agee with ben about fitting to the strut brace have fitted a set of luke 3 point harness in my 240z used the 2 original floor mountings and drilled the 3rd in the rear using a heavy duty mounting plate and when through a MOT fine but the harness had to be E marked.

Dave

Ewwww...

My strut brace is an Auto-Active item. Quite thick I think (40 mm diameter approx).

Am now considering floor plate though :)

Back