Hard Brake Pedal

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I've just got my 260Z out of winter hibernation, actually its been a couple of years:(. The brake pedal is hard as rock. The brakes work ok but with a hefty shove. I've checked servo hoses and connections and all seems fine, plenty of suction at the servo too. Is this a problem inside the servo? Advice appreciated:confused:.

I'd compare the brakes with the engine running and not, walking pace would do down a hill (don't lock the steering though).

Then I'd check all four brakes for seizure,

If the servo is working ok and the brakes are nice and 'free' I'd then consider the master cylinder.

Report back.

I had the same on my car years ago, it was the front caliper pistons where partially seized after freeing them up the pedal went back to normal. worth a try.

Thanks for the pointers. I had to abandon things tonight, thunder, lightening and heavy rain.:eek: I'll let you know how I get on.:thumbs:

To check if your servo is working do the following,

engine off, pump brake pedal till it goes hard with very little travel, press foot down hard on brake pedal, start engine with foot still pressing down on brake pedal, if your servo is working you should feel the brake pedal creep down slightly as you press against it

I replaced the servo with a 280ZX one. One of the rear bleed nipples broke:eek: but luckily I bought the last 3 rear cylinders off my local factors a couple of years ago so I just replaced the cylinder. The servo bolts that go thru the bulkhead were way too long so I had to use long spacers but the brakes are fine now.:thumbs: I'll open up the old servo and see if there's anything obviously wrong.

Glad you got it sorted..........you need to get that beauty back on the road! Shame to have it locked away

they aint as lucky as us down here jay its a lot of hassle for the guys up north to get the cars on the road, mot every year for classics ffs

Back