half shaft sizes

240zchevyv8

Well-Known Forum User
Hello im a bit confused with my half shaft sizes:confused: ill explain. Ive got an r200 dif that came from a 280 zx with the half shafts fitted, ive also got a r200 dif from a 260z with the halfshafts fitted, one of the 260z half shafts is badley worn so im fitting the 260z dif because it is a 3.9 ratio with the 280zx half shafts which are good to my 240z, the problem ive got is when i measure the halfshafts they are both the same size when compressed, i thought on r200 difs one was slightly larger than the other to allow for the bigger r200 being offset, ive not mixed up the halfshafts and know for sure they came of the same dif, am i measuring wrong, should i measure fully open (not tried that yet), or how difficult is it to repair the worn halfshaft with parts from the other good ones, i would appreciate some advice because if the halfshafts are wrong it would cause extra stresses on the car

The half shafts are sliding as you know so they take up whatever lenght needed.
The 260 diff is a 3.7 not a 3.9.
And remember you are swapping the extra half shafts for a rev counter;)

I thought the same as you i.e. that the shafts should be different sizes but when I swapped to an R200 my old 240 (R180) shafts fitted. One was almost fully compressed though.

The 240/260/280Z and ZX (early) driveshafts are essentially all the same for manual cars and one size fits all; no left and right. Part numbers have been superceded over the years, but each is an unconditional retro fit.

280ZX (early) driveshafts are different in that the inner side yoke flange has a projecting spline which engages directly with the differential but even then don't appear to be designated left and right.

The CV shafts from later 280ZX are handed in that the inner splined area is a different length from left to right, and the length of the centre part of the axle is different..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back