Grease is the word.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
So ok I’m slightly confused, easily done.

What grease should I be using to re grease the front hub bearings?

regards,

Mike

peter_s

Club Member
If you want to track your car then go for the red line high temp grease. If not, just get any general grease for wheel bearings at your local parts store.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
After a lot of insomnia thinking about this and reading a tonne research, I went with the EP2 that Jon has JB has linked. EP1 seems to be too runny when warm. Interestingly, my local run o the mill garage told me they use EP1 on customer cars.

Last edited:

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
The reason why I had a moment of doubt is because I found a data sheet on the grease recommended by Nissan. In the work shop manual it recommends MIL G2108 or 10924. In the data sheet that I found its visual description was Black, which got me to thinking it might be Moly Grease. But I had been using EP2 on other things so had a moment of doubt as to whether I was using the right thing. Interestingly after striping down the front hubs over the weekend the inner bearings definitely seem to have been greased with a black grease in the past. Despite very little wear I've decided to replace them anyway, good old Rock Auto.

I did strip down some spare hubs that I got for a project that I'm umming and arring over and the grease in them was bright vivid green, no idea what that was.

Thanks for all the help anyway!!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The reason why I had a moment of doubt is because I found a data sheet on the grease recommended by Nissan. In the work shop manual it recommends MIL G2108 or 10924. In the data sheet that I found its visual description was Black, which got me to thinking it might be Moly Grease. But I had been using EP2 on other things so had a moment of doubt as to whether I was using the right thing. Interestingly after striping down the front hubs over the weekend the inner bearings definitely seem to have been greased with a black grease in the past. Despite very little wear I've decided to replace them anyway, good old Rock Auto.

I did strip down some spare hubs that I got for a project that I'm umming and arring over and the grease in them was bright vivid green, no idea what that was.

Thanks for all the help anyway!!

Unless you’ve done it already, may I suggest that you keep the old bearings and races (matched of course) in freezer bags. You may never need them again but if for some reason the quality of new bearings is not the same, you have a way back. Just a thought.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Unless you’ve done it already, may I suggest that you keep the old bearings and races (matched of course) in freezer bags. You may never need them again but if for some reason the quality of new bearings is not the same, you have a way back. Just a thought.

Good idea, think I’ll do that.