Fuel tank leak

eastman

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guys, just found out my fuel tank on my 260z 2+2 has got a leak, can it be repaired? Im pretty sure you cant weld it, any ideas? Where could i get a replacement?

eastman

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the link sean287 but i think its a little to pricey for me,have been looking at some reconditioning on web and looks pretty good, might be best option if i cant find a good used one

Huw

Club Member
I don't know how bad your leak is, I had a few pin holes in my tank so it was weeping. I had the tank soda blasted on the outside to get rid of the crud and I used a kit from Frost made by POR 15 to seal the inside of the tank. It seems to have done the trick for me. All in about £100 I would think.

Huw

Jan - the Dane

Active Forum User
Gents,

my tank is now leaking badly from the seams so need a proper repair fast. Does anyone know someone in the South East who could do a good job????

Cheers
Jan

Leeski26

Club Member
Anyone used petro putty to fix a fuel tank leak, I have found a slight leak from the tank where the fuel return goes into the tank, I can turn the small metal pipe which comes out of the tank, I assume that it should be solid like the main fuel pipe. Any advise would be much appreciated.

monza

Well-Known Forum User
I've used various solutions on all the, er, classics ( bangers ) that I have owned - leak fix by plastic padding is probably one of the better ones...

I've had the same problem with inlets and outlets corroding away and used the above to secure whats left of the rusty parts !. Obviously, the repair lasts longer the less 'longterm' contact with petrol it has - ie if you can keep the fuel level below the repair.....although all my tanks seem to pin hole in the bottom corners...

Ultimately the rust process continues within the repair and eventually the repair will open up again if the rust can swell up enough.

cheers
ash

johnymd

Club Member
I've had 2 tanks that have movement on the fuel in and out pipes. Both very good condition tanks. Is this normal?