fuel pressure dampener

chris frizzell

Club Member
hello is anybody running there 280z without a fuel damper .will it cause any problems as mine has a bad leak and new ones are look hard to find have good fuel pressure at 40psi a little high but constant any thoughts would be great chris

Huw

Club Member
HI Chris

You are referring to the fuel damper under the rear of the car after the fuel pump? It's there to stop pulsing from the pump. This will cause you issues with the running of the car if it's not there. I would really look to replace this.

Additionally 40psi is outside spec, I would suggest that's way too high. At idle it should only be around 36psi. Are you measuring it correctly with a gauge after the fuel filter? If it's that high then you need to replace the regulator. (The unit that sits midway on thefuel rails on top the inlet manifold). You can check the operation of the fuel regulator by using a vacuum gauge to ensure its working properly. If you have a Haynes manual the procedure is documented with the correct values for different vacuum levels. I can copy the page if you don't. But I do think the regulator is suspect if your pressure is that high.

Huw

Last edited:

Mark N

Club Member
How accurate is the gauge you used?
The baseline fuel pressure should be 36.3psi with the engine off and only the fuel pump running as per the manual excerpt below (this is for a 1978 car, I don't know what year your car is, but the specific manuals can be downloaded http://www.xenonzcar.com/s30/fsm.html).
This takes any vacuum variations out of the equation.

upload_2019-5-7_13-24-8.png

chris frizzell

Club Member
its not the most expensive fuel pressure gauge in the world so a level of psi may not be true . had a look on other forum and found that bosch used a up graded damper on bwm 318-m3 in the 1985 s no screw on the top part number 16121178035 . so popped down to my local bmw dealer to see if they had one . looked on the web and there hard to get in the USA so didnt hold much hope .but gave the young lad the part number and it will be her tommorow result . on the way out they had a new i8 roadster for a shed load of cash still not a good looking as a S30 to me . will keep all informed about the new dampener chris