First Post in ZClub.net - Fairlady 2.0 JDM 70

Tyree

Active Forum User
Hey Peeps

This is my first post having just joined the forum so first of all wanted to say hi to everyone :coolgleam:

I do also have a question though, I'm looking around for a 240Z however I have stumbled across a Fairlady 2.0 JDM 70 but I can't very much on the net at all about them. I've established they were sold in the Japanese market to avoid tax on large engine cars but I dont know if they were ever exported.

Is there anyone who knows how many were initially produced, how many were exported? I think it would be difficult to say how many survive today.

Be grateful for any information anyone is able to provide.

Welcome to the club mate!

The man you are looking for is Albrecht (aka The Oracle)!

Ali K

Thanks Ali

I'll see if I can dig him out then, going to have a look at it tomorrow so short on time :)

Thanks again :)

Japanese market S30 Fairlady Zs were not officially exported. Those that show up in the UK tend to have been personal imports back in the day by either US servicemen or Japanese businessmen. There are only a few known ones of varying specs (we are probably talking in the teens) in the UK. I have a 1971 Fairlady Z-L (originally 2L but now 2.8), Albrecht (who is probably the most knowledge person on these cars in the English-speaking world), owns several of different spec. There are odd other ones owned by club members and there's a rough project 1975 car for sale on the South coast. Of course, in Japan, there are lots of them and a healthy scene to support, tune and modify them (as there is an equivalent scene in the US).

Vastly oversimplifying, compared to a 240z, a typical Fairlady Z has a number of obvious differences (fender mirrors, mesh grill, badging, seat mounts, to name a few at this late hour!) but then other features, defined by a more extensive range of models and options compared to export market 240z and 260zs. We'd need pictures/detail to establish exactly what model of S30 Fairlady Z it is (I.e. Z or Z-L, what options it might have fitted etc.). Engines are obviously the L20 on Z and Z-L models, with about 130bhp compared to a 240Z's 150ish from the L24. It's gets a lot more complex than that though when we get into the S20 engined 432 and 432R variants and later Fairlady 240Zs, later 2.0l S30 and S31 Fairlady Zs (260z contemporary versions) etc.

Hopefully Alan will enter this thread and offer some wisdom. Also, a good English language resource (which Alan contributed to) is Brian Long's book 'Datsun Z - Fairlady to 280z'. If you want to understand how that car fits within the context of the overall Z story (which I think Alan will advise as very important, especially if you are considering a purchase and have been looking for a Datsun 240Z as opposed to a Fairlady Z) that book is a very good bet.

Personally, controversially, I prefer JDM Fairlady Zs to UK cars (I like the different details and the character of the JDM tuning scene around them) but I'm somewhat biased! I know others think the fender mirrors are ugly and ruin the lines, so each to their own.

We need pictures though! :thumbs: And as many other details as possible. You have got my full attention with this topic! ;) :D

As far as i am aware it was for the home Japanese market only. It was a single overhead cam and the original rocker cover said Nissan 2000 OHC. (The DOHC 2litre engine variants are super desirable but again, only for Japanese market).......as far as i'm aware.
Good luck.

...I have stumbled across a Fairlady 2.0 JDM 70 but I can't very much on the net at all about them. I've established they were sold in the Japanese market to avoid tax on large engine cars but I dont know if they were ever exported.

Is there anyone who knows how many were initially produced, how many were exported? I think it would be difficult to say how many survive today.

richiep has covered most of the bases, but I'll add a couple of things.

A 1970-built Fairlady Z (S30-S model ) or Fairlady Z-L (S30 model) will have an 'S30' prefix to its chassis number, and that's easy to check: It's engraved onto the firewall sheetmetal just above the brake booster. It's also stamped into an alloy tag that should be attached to the RH strut tower in the engine bay, and the script on that tag will all be in Japanese. Note that the (basic, no frills, 'Standard'/'Z-S') Z and ('Deluxe') Z-L models both shared the 'S30' chassis prefix and the same sequential body serial number series, so there's no way to tell whether an individual car is a Z or Z-L from the chassis number alone.

The 'no frills' Standard Z would have had no rubber trim on the bumpers, no hubcaps, no carpets, no radio (and therefore no antenna), no heated rear window and no clock - amongst other things. Usually the Standard had a 4-speed trans, but an Automatic transmission option was phased in towards the end of 1970, and an individual buyer could up-spec a car somewhat by paying for a few extras. After 45 years most cars get modified somewhat, so keep an open mind about spec details.

The Z-L 'Deluxe' model is much more common, and had all the gizmos and gadgets of the Export models and more besides. Again, after 45 years anything could have been modified / swapped, and a totally bone-stock car in the spec it left the factory is now very rare and unlikely.

Both models had the two litre L20A straight six engine with twin 38mm Hitachi-SU carburettors. In layout its almost identical to the L24 in export models. Engine number is stamped onto a flat pad on the engine block on the RH (spark plug) side, near the join with the cylinder head. Engine number prefix should be 'L20'. If it says 'L24', 'L26' or 'L28' then it's not the original engine block. There's an engine block casting date code on the LH (exhaust and inlet) side of the engine block, down near the sump join. This can be decoded to show the casting date of the engine block (and hence help to discern whether it's the original block).

Most other mechanical componentry is identical or very similar to the contemporary Export '240Z' models, so no worries there.

Nissan manufactured around 950 Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L models in 1969 and around 3,400 in 1970, so if the particular car in question has a chassis number below 'S30-04504' then it will be one of them. None of these cars were officially exported by Nissan as new cars, but a fair few made their way out of Japan during the 1970s and 1980s in the hands of US servicemen who had been posted to bases in Japan and took the cars home with them.

Appraisal of any car for sale should concentrate on the condition of the bodyshell itself, so please look out for rust, crash damage and evidence of any poor repairs.

If you have any specific questions then by all means post them here.

Good luck!

As a quick rule of thumb (excluding the mega-rare, mega-money S20 twin cam 432s), the L20-engined Fairlady Zs up to late-71 came in two versions: S30-S Fairlady Z and S30 Fairlady Z-L. The "Z" is the base model, having no rear screen heating, rubber mats instead of carpets, steel wheels without trims, plain chrome bumpers without the rubber corner strips. The Z-L was the luxury version, which had rear screen heating, carpets, trimmed wheels, rubber bumper strips etc. It likely would have other option parts too like passenger side foot rest bar, maybe a rally clock, etc. Obviously, things can be swapped out and specc'ed up over 45 years so something that started out as a plain Z might look more like a Z-L now.

Other obvious thing to check - a real JDM 2.0L S30 Fairlady Z will have a VIN beginning with "S30" - unlike HS30 for 240Z/2.4L cars or HLS30 for LHD 240Zs. My car, when I originally bought it, had for all intents and purposes been turned by someone into a UK-style 240Z; most of its cosmetic JDM features were long gone, but the VIN number (and JDM seat mounts) made it clear what it's real history was.The V5 also identified it as having been registered abroad before it was registered in the UK in June 73.

As for that 432 being auctioned Ali - well, it will be interesting, although not necessarily all that revealing to see what happens. The market for those cars is in Japan. Selling it at Amelia Island in front of a room full of rich but dim and largely clueless Americans whose primary experience of the Z will be US market 240Zs, which for decades have been seen as a cheap old car, could mean the price being all over the place. Either way, I doubt it is a good thing personally.

EDIT - Alan just got in while I was typing this and covered some of the same ground in more detail!! Cheers Alan!

Appraisal of any car for sale should concentrate on the condition of the bodyshell itself, so please look out for rust, crash damage and evidence of any poor repairs.

Good luck!

This is the essential truth for any early Z purchase. It doesn't matter what model S30 it is. Many of the panels are no longer available and used ones near impossible to get from the UK (importing from the US becomes essential). Thus, it requires great care in the case of a car with rust in terms of how much you want to deal with - i.e. how much money you've got. Whatever budget you think you have - double it in that situation.

Back