Fairlady Z 432-R up for auction in Tokyo

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
A genuine 432-R is coming up for auction in Japan. BH Auctions are timing the auction to coincide with people being in town for Tokyo Auto Salon in January 2020.

This car is chassis number PS30-00289, built in 1970. It's not totally original, but most of the R-specific parts are present and it is a genuine example of the type.

Auction estimate is "73,000,000 to 83,000,000 JPY". That's roughly 525,000 to 600,000 GBP at current exchange rates.

PS30-00289-01.jpg

https://bhauction.com/en/auction/tokyo-terrada-january/lots/432-r

A genuine 432-R is coming up for auction in Japan. BH Auctions are timing the auction to coincide with people being in town for Tokyo Auto Salon in January 2020.

This car is chassis number PS30-00289, built in 1970. It's not totally original, but most of the R-specific parts are present and it is a genuine example of the type.

Auction estimate is "73,000,000 to 83,000,000 JPY". That's roughly 525,000 to 600,000 GBP at current exchange rates.

View attachment 35734

https://bhauction.com/en/auction/tokyo-terrada-january/lots/432-r

Thats lovely. do you know the history of this one? Any interesting ex-race history?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Thats lovely. do you know the history of this one? Any interesting ex-race history?

It's a 'known' car in Japan. Nothing untoward, but some personal touches by the previous owner: Lack of vinyl in cargo area and missing vinyl sill trims (maybe he wanted to show off the new paint...), half-painted rear spoiler, 432 KS mags (432-R came with steelies) etc. Easily changed.

It's a road-registered version (something less than 20 such cars got sold for road use) rather than a non-registered race car (something around 25 to 30 went straight to track use) so no race history. Survivor!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Nice :) and up there with 2000GTs but some questions please :

How can one tell from the chassis number and code that it's an 'R' and not a 'mere Z432 ?

Is missing the airbox- are these easy to find ?

Miniscule battery (just an observation).

Which steering wheel is that - not an OEM one which I guess are expensive to find ? I'm sure that this one has massive kudos points for raity and period form etc but it looks 'odd' in there !

Why does it have no driver side vent when it appears to have a plastic air guide to the inner wing (in the absence of an OEM air filter) ?

Pondo

Club Member
I do like the 432KS mags if anyone wants to buy it and return it to original wheels I’ll take these.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Nice :) and up there with 2000GTs but some questions please :

How can one tell from the chassis number and code that it's an 'R' and not a 'mere Z432 ?

Which steering wheel is that - not an OEM one which I guess are expensive to find ? I'm sure that this one has massive kudos points for raity and period form etc but it looks 'odd' in there !

Why does it have no driver side vent when it appears to have a plastic air guide to the inner wing (in the absence of an OEM air filter) ?

And where is the 'rallye' clock ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

You can't. The 432-R shared a prefix and body serial number sequence with the 'normal' 432.

The 'R' specific tell-tale is on the paperwork that goes with the car. Same situation as HS30 and HS30-H.

It's not 'missing' because it was never fitted at the factory. Normal 432 had the airbox with integral trumpets and the air filter box mounted in front of the radiator support panel. 432-R only had carb trumpets.

Japanese market batteries were smaller than the Export types anyway.

It's a 'Mach' steering wheel, which was offered as a Nissan Sports/Race Option item with a Nissan part number. As used on most of the Works 432-Rs and GT-Rs. Originals - like the one on this car - are highly prized in Japan. It's a perfect choice for a 1970 car.

The 432 type air filter housing and airbox precluded the fitting of the 'normal' fresh-air duct, and they had a special stepped duct which was mounted to the hole in the radiator support panel below the normal duct. The 432-R, as mentioned above, didn't have the air filter housing and airbox, but they used the stepped 432 type RH duct. It's just an 'R' thing...

432 got the stopwatch clock and oscillator. 432-R didn't. The clock hole in the dash was filled with the same blanking panel that the Fairlady ZS got.

Last edited:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The 432 type air filter housing and airbox precluded the fitting of the 'normal' fresh-air duct, and they had a special stepped duct which was mounted to the hole in the radiator support panel below the normal duct. The 432-R, as mentioned above, didn't have the air filter housing and airbox, but they used the stepped 432 type RH duct. It's just an 'R' thing...

Ok, I can just make out the stepped duct which will lead air to the feet but still no side ducts.....why not please - they are practical ?

Thanks for the other insights, I thought all 432s came with the same air-filter and box like the one you have fitted.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, I can just make out the stepped duct which will lead air to the feet but still no side ducts.....why not please - they are practical ?

Factory stock spec for 432-R was no heater system. No point to have dash vents without a heater/blower...

All part of getting the homologated weight down for JAF Prototype race class.

SeanDezart said:
Thanks for the other insights, I thought all 432s came with the same air-filter and box like the one you have fitted.

Like I said, no airbox & filter on 432-R. I've got the system, but not fitted it to my 432-R replica/'tribute' car:

Eng-1.JPG

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No. The whole point is that a parallel supplier - who will be getting them out of the back door of the factory - seems ready to claim that they are 'Made In Japan' as part of their sales patter. They are not.

The worry with untested, uncertified and unlicensed wheels is one of quality and safety. Also liability.

I read this between the lines :

A Japanese company has gone to a foreign supplier to build these wheels for them.
That supplier is now selling them in parallel with the Japanese company.

What, then, is the difference in quality and safety ?

Thanks again for the Z432-R info, I had a double take and effectively, yours had trumpets.

Attachments

• Parts and cars 012.jpg
    Parts and cars 012.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 25

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I remember reading your post some years ago Alan here:

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums...-sb-fairlady-z432-r-refresh-story-in-gallery/

Was it for this car? I never saw the pictures they were removed unfortunately but your post was very informative about the cars specs. Was always interested to see the 100L fuel tank, do you have pictures of this?

Not for the auction car. The classiczcars.com thread was a link to the restoration photos of my friend Akira Takeuchi's 432-R, which is now probably the most widely seen/photographed/published/filmed 432-R in Japan. He uses it prolifically and generously. Its no pampered show queen but still pretty immaculate, to my eyes anyway. I've ridden in it a few times now. Here it is from earlier this year when we went down to Fuji Speedway from Tokyo:

20190505_170743.jpg 20190504_121913.jpg

That's a 'Euro' urethane front spoiler on it, which is not original to the 432-R. He likes it, and says it works.

Here's what a 432-R 100 litre tank looks like (not the one from the above car):

画像 2934.jpg 画像 2936.jpg 画像 2937.jpg 画像 2938.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
And here is one on an 'R'.

Pushing the edges of the 'R' term a little unless you cite the fact that your photo shows a Works rally car, and therefore what the factory actually called a '240ZR', made up from many 'PZR' type pressings. The 100 litre tank itself modified (for clearance) and therefore no longer 100 litres capacity...

SeanDezart said:
So adding these wheels over the OEM steelies is a popular if technically 'incorrect' addidtion ?

"Is". And was.

432-R buyers could pay extra for a set of 432 type KS magnesium wheels if they wanted them. Same with a heater/blower and an actual glovebox.

Since replicas of the Works type KS 'Rally Mags' (Nissan never sold them to the general public) first started coming onto the market in the early 1990s (initially by Rose Auto in Kyoto) they have been a popular addition for 432-R owners. You'll see replicas of both 432 type and Works 'Rally Mag' KS wheels on a lot of cars these days.

Personally I like to see them on skinny TOPYs sometimes, but any Kobe Seiko wheel looks 'right' on these cars in my opinion. Like shoes, you can change wheels/tyres to suit what you're doing on any particular day.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks (again) for the works insight. Confusing for us when the factory calls it a 240ZR where previously it's been stated that no such thing exists (well, obviuosly not officually) and we've all been conditioned to call them S30s, PS30s, PS30-SBs.....easy to see why simple-minded journalists stop at Count Goertz !:p

Last edited by a moderator:

datsfun

Club Member
Will it remain in Japan or do we think an overseas collector will jump at the opportunity to buy this rare car?

I can see this going to UAE or US.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I can see this going to UAE or US.

I'd have to agree with you as Alan always says that these cars stay within a 'group' within Japan and so rarely come to the open market.

The fact that this one has, suggests that the desired price is too high for the locals.