Exhaust choice

johnymd

Club Member
As I'm replacing the rear valance I cant bring myself to enlarge the cutout for the twice pipes Steve supplied with the car so I need to look at a new exhaust. I'd do have a spare stainless exhaust but its a little on the small side. I know this car is supposed to be my daily driver but I still don't want it to be restricted. I had considered Sean's exhaust and manifold as I think they are good value for money (although maybe out of my budget) but I may want to take the car out on track sometime so this is out also. Any other suggestion's?

You know what my fave is. And at the mo it's reduced to only £425 (plus ship). Manifold is pretty much the same price.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/fujitsubo-legalis-r-exhaust-muffler-nissan-fairlady-z-s30-hs30.html

Sean's is very nice though and attractive with the upcoming JDM replica back box.

Edit: Matt beat me to it! Whitehead is selling it with a chunky markup though. Still cheaper than when I bought it a couple of years ago when the Yen was very strong...

I'm not a lover of the twin vertical pipes although also good value for money.

As I said before, Sean's is great value for money but no good if you want to go on a track (far too load). Any quieter options Sean? Less than 98db if poss.

The Fujitsubo system quotes : 'while only adding a maximum of 3dB of sound.'' Have I missed something or where is the standard dB level quoted ?

I've been aiming for 94 because the circuits over here have become stricter. That's why I've enlarged the centre and rear boxes and reduced (yes, reduced) the diametre of the pipe through the rear silencer together with the exit pipe.

What is the real cost of their system here : £425 plus shipping and perhaps the dreaded customs ?

All dB levels will in some respect reflect what's happening at the engine end and obviously vary depending upon your rev limits.

However, I'm confident (in as much as I've reinvested into it) that the revised system will be under the 98 level.

That's good to know Sean and I may well be a customer then. I was hoping you would add to this thread as yours seams to be the best value system around, especially with the big change in euro rate. I do know someone who has the old DJ system fitted and he couldn't get on track at Brands without ramming a couple of coke can in the silencer. This only just got him on track so I was a bit worried about committing to your system. If you say this has now been addressed and you are achieving 94db at the recommended distance then I may well choose your product.

When I bought the Fujitsubo full system back in 2012, I paid 330 quid courier shipping. Arrived in 6 days from Japan. Duty - I got off lightly. RHDJapan were "favourable" with their customs valuation. I paid 70quid I think.

Of course, I also paid 400 quid total more back then than the system is now due to exchange rate. Bummer, but I love the system. The quality is excellent.

Pretty loud when you give it the beans though!

This is not for the blue car. Its for my new project 4BOA. Going old school with an L-series. I may take it to Spa next year.

Pretty loud when you give it the beans though!
How loud ? Have you had it measured before getting on a circuit ?

So (if I'm right) now, you'd pay £425 + £330 +£70 (if you're lucky) to total £825 for the exhaust ? What happends if you need to replace parts ?

I confess that I don't hold the same garauntee for my future twin-pipe silencer although I'm planning on it being reasonably mellow before it hits 3500 otherwise it'll become tiresome and obtrusive.....and people'll risk getting pulled over.:D

Car'll be finished by then Johny ?:rolleyes:

Seen this ?http://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk/products.htm £950 !

I've never taken it on circuit so it's never been tested. I'm talking purely about what it sounds like when giving it some on-cam in a road setting. It is not as loud at idle as my old MSA system was though and doesn't drone like that bloody thing did.

Incidentally, that 330 shipping might be cheaper now - again, a lower Yen might help. That 330 was also for both the LegalisR exhaust AND the matching SuperEX manifold together (see my gallery). Obviously, just an exhaust will be less.

Parts - well, I've never twatted it and if I did I have an extremely good exhaust fabrication place a mile from home who can make (or remake) anything. Obviously the exhaust isn't as modular as your stuff (it splits into two flanged bolt-up sections). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Fujitsubo though as the quality is superb and it ticks my JDM pedant box. Although, there's a good chance my next projects exhaust might be French! ;)

European...and French by way of Holland.....as those who had their bonnet badges nicked in Kent will testify.

I have a nismo header mated to a gds,I think Sean said they don't make gds anymore but worth a look,not to loud and sounds nice

It will be back on the road before the end of summer Sean. I don't do long term projects. It will probably go back together as is (minus exhaust) and be an evolving project, as the blue one is.

Am I being a thickie or do RHD Japan only sell one complete exhaust line (not just the rear 'muffler') - that with the twin pipes ?

Am I being a thickie or do RHD Japan only sell one complete exhaust line (not just the rear 'muffler') - that with the twin pipes ?

The Fujitsubo comes in two sections: manifold to behind the mid/crossover box, then section that passes under rear suspension to tail pipes. Backbox is not detachable on its own.

Back