Engine enamel/paint/spraying

Russ

Club Member
Hi,

Ok spent ages clearing the last owners mess off my block, and in a few weeks it'll be time to put it all back on again.

I found some brush on enamel at frost (www.frost.co.uk) which is 80% pigment and I imagine it'll do a good job. But I'd like to spray it if possible to get the best finish I can. Although I'm sure you can do a good job with a brush, I never can. Something aerosol based if it's really good, or that I can put in my primer gun?

Also I want to chemically etch it first, I found POR15 do a Metal Ready galvanising/rust eating/etching liquid that is suitable for engine blocks, BUT it won't go over paint and I can't say I've removed 100% of it.

Anyway can anyone tell me the best possible way to do it, I know its a bit of a fuss about nothing (I've already been told "Just get a tin of this and a brush, it works alright") but it took hours and hours to remove the paint last time and I don't want to have to go through all that again.

Thanks in advance,

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Russ,
Your right to fuss, as its your car and you are the one thats got to live how you want to/do things.
I am too going with a Frost engine paint, but all I am going to use is POR-15 metal ready or Fertan it, then put on the engine paint. You could (though I don't know if it will work) is use some thinners and dilute your engine paint down (trying painting something else first) and see how that works. Fertan by he way is the equivalent as POR-15 product, but is used, say on narrow boat barges. I treated our slovent bin at work with it, let it react, wash the excess off, and 3 yrs of being outside, no rust has come through where the treatment was applied. And you can paint straight over it and it will go over paint.

I hope that helps

Ian

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Have you tried good old nitromors to get all the paint of the block to be sure? Or Frosts sell a POR15 paint stripper that's supposed to be able get anything off. Just to give you peace of mind that you've got th eblock clean. Then Marine Clean to degrease, Metal Ready to etch it/kill of any remaining rust, then whatever on top. That engine enamel stuff is probably stop on, also if it goes on like regular POR15 paint then it'll spread out nicely before drying and not leave any brush marks. Also if it's anything like regular POR15, don't get it on your skin!!

Cheers,
Rob

Russ

Club Member
Thanks for the help guys.

As you can see from the latest picture I've remove 99% of the paint, but I could be in the garage forever with paint stripper removing the last of it so I'm not if using the metal ready would be a bad idea.

I guess it'll work around the paint if you know what I mean, have to give it some more thought and test some of the POR15 paint in my gun see what I can do with it.

Cheers

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Anyway can anyone tell me the best possible way to do it, I know its a bit of a fuss about nothing (I've already been told "Just get a tin of this and a brush, it works alright") but it took hours and hours to remove the paint last time and I don't want to have to go through all that again.
You really do need to get out more Russ.:rolleyes:
As do those who agree with you.:rolleyes:
You will be too old to drive the cars by the time you are all finished.:eek:

Russ

Club Member
No, by the time I've finished it'll be a lovely motor and I'll be 25 and able to insure it... ;)

How long is your Cali Z taking anyway? :)

Russ

Club Member
Cool.

Let me know if you find anything. I'm trying to find a matt black now if possible so if you spot one let me know.

Cheers

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
I spoke to my local paint shop about heat proof paint, they supplied heat proof etching primer for the block so then i could use standard paint providing i dont boil the nuts off it. colour of paint was then easy.

Russ

Club Member
I was going to use POR-15 Metal Ready to prime, but it appears you need a very clean metal surface to use it? Or rather one with no paint.

Any recommendations are welcome thanks.

ben240z

Club Member
sounds like you want to put the block through a hot tank after it has been bored and cleaned.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now I wonder where you can get that done