Electric Water Pump

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Wondering if anyone on here has used an electric water pump on their car?
Probably going to go down this route on my VH to avoid cavitation problems at high RPM and so I can get the temp down a bit.
Looks good in theory but be nice to have some evidence that it works!

Hi John,

Steve Kiddel, the Z club mag editor uses one in his 240Z. He may be able to advise you on there merits.

use one on the race car. With the system that I am running it took 10 degrees running temp out of the engine. It works for me. cheers ben

Diffo engine I know but notorious for overheating all the same
laugh.gif

Speaking to a chap who runs two on his Triumph Stag (org engine) n said he was more then happy with them. Could be worth a look?
dowa.gif

Early versions on the Chevy were notorious for leaking, but modern dedicated pumps seem to have overcome the problem. I've used integral motor and side mount motor versions on race cars, the latter being more reliable.
On the L-series engine, the integral motor version we bring in from the States has a high mileage expectation and my main contact at MSA has been running one on his 280Z for over a year with no problems.

Great, cheers for the replies.
Were you using a restrictor on the outlet from the block to keep the internal pressures up in the jackets, or just keeping it unrestricted?
Was thinking that even though the flow's restricted it might be a better option to keep the internal pressure in the waterways up high to stop localised boiling on hot spots? The EWP I was looking at (Davies Craig) will do 2 bar max. Can appreciate it might be a compronise as I'm trying to keep the temps down to 70-75 degrees as I'm running 12:1 CR but some rad ducting and perhaps an auxillary rad where one intercooler went may help. Maybe just a suck it and see?
Will have a boss stuck on the inlet pipework anyway and see what the pressure does.

Mike, does your contact do any universal ones, and what are the flow / pressure / lifetime specs if he does?
Cheers

One of my suppliers is listing the EWP pump which can be mounted remotely from the engine in a convenient position to hook up to the bottom rad hose. The standard water pump can be left in place to aid connection and the impeller removed if it were felt to impede flow. Obviously there would be no need to run a belt to the old pump. Where the old pump has no hose connections (all Z models), a blanking plate could be fabricated to cover the area if preferred.
An electronic controller is used to vary voltage and govern pump speed and a thermostatic switch turns the pump on and off as required. The engine thermostat would be removed and you would need to experiment with various restrictor plates to match flow to desired cooling (open with no thermostat would lead to increased flow through the radiator and probable impaired cooling effect.
There are other varieties available, but data on this one was to hand:

300-1300 UK gallons per hour or 20-80 litres per minute
Max pressure 30psi
Temperature range for correct operation -20 to +130 degrees C.
Motor life estimated at 2000 hours at 80 degrees C.
Current draw 7.5 amp max.
Weight 900 g
Hose size 1.25" - 2" via interchangeable adapters
Overall dimensions 128mm x 131mm x 77mm deep (excluding outlet.
Price to be confirmed, but a kit including pump, controller and thermostatic switch will be around £225 - £250 + VAT.

A smaller version is available for pumping fluids to chargecoolers, water cooling for brakes and supplementing flow to heater matrix, with 3/4" push fit couplings. 13 litres per minute, 15,000 hours motor life at 80 degrees C. Cost in the region of £85 - £90 + VAT (but need to check). I have a version of this with the chargecooler associated with the Stillen supercharger intercooling system....very efficient and reasonably quiet in operation.

hi john, I am running the davies graig elec pump with the controller. No thermstat and no restrictor. The controller takes away the need for a stat and even with the compression ratio I am running, keeping the temperature down to 70 to 80 degrees is easily achievable. I have run this system on the racecar for 5 seasons now without any problems. Give me a ring if you need more info. 07789863990 cheers ben

Mr.F said:
but data on this one was to hand:

300-1300 UK gallons per hour or 20-80 litres per minute
Max pressure 30psi
Temperature range for correct operation -20 to +130 degrees C.
Motor life estimated at 2000 hours at 80 degrees C.
Current draw 7.5 amp max.
Weight 900 g
Hose size 1.25" - 2" via interchangeable adapters
Overall dimensions 128mm x 131mm x 77mm deep (excluding outlet.
Price to be confirmed, but a kit including pump, controller and thermostatic switch will be around £225 - £250 + VAT.

someone really did their home work on this pump Mike, only 7.5 amp draw, thats incredibly low considering what the pump has to do.:eek:

Cheers for the replies guys. Imagine, a forum with some technical content :eek: Whatever next.
Mike, is that the DC pump? If so, can you get the 110l/min one?

Checked with suppliers, and EWP now do an uprated version (EWP1-A) - most specs the same as already quoted for EWP1, but:

22 - 125 litres per min (up to 1650 UK gals. per hour)
Current drain 9.5 amp max.
Weight 995 g
Dimensions 140mm x 151mm x 87.5 mm (exc. outlet height).
Life 3000 hours.

Retail prices confirmed at:
£133.63 + VAT for EWP1
£163.77 + VAT for EWP1-A
The controller for EWP1 - £82.40 + VAT
The controller for EWP1-A not available for six months....I'm told that current users run them flat-out.
Thermostatic switch £7.50 + VAT (this has dropped from £22 + VAT 5 years ago!).

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks more like it. I take it the thermostatic switch can be used until the controller is available? Is the switch adjustable?
Do you have any pics of the pump?
Also, any chance of a discount on 3 units?!
Cheers

Back