Electric Power Steering

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
At last I've finished the installation of electric power steering in my 260Z 2+2. The transformation is unbelievable, like driving a totally different car. Set to its heaviest (least assisted) setting it feels perfect. To be honest this was a much longer job than I had anticipated and definately not for the faint hearted. Quite a bit of fabrication and moidification skill is required but most definately well worth the effort.

I started with a steering column from a Vauxhall Corsa C. I also had to buy an electronic controller in order to mimic the signals that would be sent to the steering ECU from the road speed sensor and engine speed sensor in the corsa. I now have a rotary knob to vary the amount of assistance I need.

The Corsa column was stripped of all the unnecessary bits and pieces such as switch gear, steering lock, immobiliser and adjustment bracketry. There is a bearing inside the column switch gear that had to be welded on to the end of the column once it was stripped bare. Next the switch gear and ignition lock from the Z had to be mounted onto the new column. This involved reprofiling the inside faces of the mounting brackets as the Corsa steering col in slightly bigger in diameter thn the Z column. I also had to extend the outer sheath of the new column towards the steering wheel because the switch on the Z was closer to the steering wheel than on the Corsa.

P1020752.JPG

P1020773.JPG

The bracket for the 2 main mounting points for Z column had to be removed from the Z column and welded onto the Corsa column after much careful measurement to make sure that the steering wheel ended up in the same position. A 2nd mounting point had to be found since the new column would not be bolted to the bulkhead like in the Z so I fabricated a bracket to allow me to bolt the new column up to the horizontal steel angle that runs accross the top of the pedal box on the Z. This mean't also having to reposition the brake light switch lower down since the new steering column bracket got in the way of the original mounting point.

P1020753.JPG

P1020755.JPG

P1020783.JPG

The top hat shaped steel pressing that carries the steering column in the Z is just a little too narrow at the point where the electric motor comes in from the side to allow the corsa column to lift up to its highest point so I had to modify it slightly.

P1020764.JPG

After removing the centre console I had to modify the RH bracket that supports the dashboard off the transmission tunnel so that the electric motor could swing up under the dash. Also the RH tip of the centre console had to be trimmed slightly as had the bracket that carries the radio to allow the centre console to slide forward to its correct position without hitting the electric motor.

P1020767.JPG

P1020784.JPG

In order to connect the new column up to the oroginal steering rack I kept the original rod that runs from the rack up to the flexible couple (replaced with a solid coupler) and connected another of these rods end to end to extend to the end of the electric column under the dash. I had an engineering workshop weld the end of the corsa universal joint that splines onto the end of the column onto the Z steering rod that I had extending to under the dash. The new mechanism ended up about 3mm too close to the edge of the original hole in the bulkhead so a little filing in that area allowed the mechanism to rotate without rubbing on the side of the hole.

Finally, or atleast temorarily, i used a Corsa steering wheel as the splines on the Z column are different to the Corsa column. As the steering wheel was from a damaged corsa whose airbag had popped I had to make a new centre for the steering wheel and I fitted the original 260Z centre pad into the new centre. It looks a little too modern for the Z but it will do for the time being and is much nicer to hold any how. I've been told that it is possible to have new splines cut into the original Z steering wheel but its very expensive. A job for another time I guess.

P1020785.JPG

P1020788.JPG

I think there is an after market kit available. I remember reading about it on the internet somewhere but it was horrendously expensive, several £000 I think. Much cheaper this way but time consuming. It took me about 4-5 days on and off I guess.

I thought at one stage that the column wasn't working. Before I had connected it up to the rack I couldn't feel any difference with the column switched on or off. Turns out that the motor only offers assistance if required so without the effort needed to turn the wheels there is no assistance. Its totally silent too.

i think as iv got 10" wide wheels this mite be the way forward with my car im sure the novelty of said wheels will soon ware thin when my arms drop off

Top job m8y and fair play for giving it a go :thumbs:

I would say though imho when finished a Corsa B unit will be easier to fit
Only its smaller and is easier to retain the Zed wheel n switch gear etc :)

Congrats. Another girlie with PS ;-) ! Bet you wonder now how you enjoyed the car w/out.

I'd have a kit too.

How much juice does she pull - have you thought about fitting a more powerful alternator ?

Back