Elec fuel pump wiring

datsfun

Club Member
I am in the process of installing a red top facet fuel pump. The plan is to fit an inline fuse and also an inertia switch (which shuts fuel pump ) in the event of an accident.

There seems to be differung opinions as to where to pick up the "live" from. Some say , just splice the live feed from ignition barrel, others say coil, etc etc...

So where would you get the live (power) from and why?;)

richiep

Club Member
My setup is the same as zbloke's, with the exception that I also have an oil pressure cutoff switch wired into the circuit for safety.

datsfun

Club Member
Thanks chaps..

A numpty question:eek:...where you are feeding the "switch" into the relay via the coil, is there a danger that if the coil starts to misbehave, then the signal to the fuel pump is affected accordingly using this set up??

I need to look at my red top carefully, AFAIK, there is only 1 wire to be connected, ( being the live) and no sign of the earth cable...?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It earths through its mount to the body.
On my 260, i already had ignition switched power to the tank, so i have the relay by the tank with the pump and a punto inertia switch by the starter motor where i took the live feed.

datsfun

Club Member
It earths through its mount to the body..

Thanks, I thought as much but when I read some of the replies and how earth is connected back to bulkhead, it got me thinking:confused:...did I say I dont understand electrics..

relay by the tank with the pump and a punto inertia switch by the starter motor where i took the live feed.

Does the location of the inetia switch matter? I mean it has to be accessible in case you have to reset it ,but other than that, anywhere convinient would do IMHO

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I agree. I only put it in engine bay so it would be easy to reset and easy to install.

zbloke

Club Member
If you intend to use the rubber bobbins to mount the pump you will need a cable of some sort to earth the pump, I think there was one in the kit I got, short piece of wire with a ring terminal on either end

I choose to bring my earth wire back to the engine bay to an existing earth point, I didn't want it under the rear of the car where it could/would get water/road dirt/salt and any other rubbish around it and start to corrode and turn green

The SW feed I mentioned is simply a wire taken from a terminal on the switched feed/ignition feed side of the ignition coil, so it switches the relay on when the ignition is switched on