E-Type Versus Z vzrsus 911 !

Would you swap your Z?

• Are you mad ? No way !

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No, but I'd prefer my car in better condition !

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Any day for an E-Type !

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Any other day for a 911 !

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
If you had the choice (and had to keep the car, run it and NOT sell it on to make a profit), would you swap your Z for an E-Type ?

Let's get specific, if you have a 2+2, swapped for an E-Type 2+2;
if a 2 seater, swapped for an E-Type 2 seater !

And let's assume that the Es have manual boxes !

The 4.2 was of a similar price, was it not to the 240 (for eg) in the UK !

Just to make it interesting, would you swap for a 911 (same rules except that they're all 2+2s) ?

the e type is ugly and so were the period 911s ...... now a new 996 / 997 turbo may have got a different answer but that would not be comparing like for like.

Doesn't work!

How does your poll work if:

a - I'd like my car in better condition
b - I'd maybe swap it for an E-Type
c - I'd maybe swap it for a 911 too!!

Hugh, there aint no 'maybe' ! You'd swap it or not - black or white !
And then you'd either keep it as it is or keep it but improved !

Now, is that complicated :) ?

So, there is already one frustrated Coventry person out there, maybe Cardiff way and a possible for either alternative car proposed !

I'd swap mine for an E-type, so long as it was a full fat one. I'd then go buy another Z though and have both :)

im gonner have both,a 911,gonner put my 240z up for sale,got the best zd,a 260,much better car than the 240

got the best zd,a 260,much better car than the 240
Way too much load music has loosened your grasp on reality Mr Status.

"better" is such a subjective word

May I suggest that the word "slow" is a more appropriate choice as it makes the sentence factually correct:D

only slower with standard carbs,240carbs makes em quicker after 50mph,maybe the bumps r getting to me,will have to buy a 280zx again,anyone wonner buy a nice 240

911...just a fast beetle.....early ones looked pony.

E-type hated the 2+2 huge bubble roof...yuck

gimmee me z anyday!....i'll confirm that once i've driven one!:D

sean silly but good question

porsche never its a beetle in disguise

and i dont need to make anymore choices

i love my 240z
and have great fun in the family 3.8 fhc etype 1962

as 2 which is best well thats like a women choosing between you and me
were totally different
but she would choose me anyway as your far to old

A FHC (not 2+2) series 1 E any day to any car in the world.

Love my z though!!

Si

p.s a CLASSIC car mag came free with my 2+2 ..it has a GREEN 240 on the front cover...ring any bells??....and a tall curly blonde bloke talking in a cockeny accent next to it .... can you hear those bells now? hee hee

Steve, not a silly question as all three cars were retailing at around the same price 30 odd years ago when the Z was available new !
Your family E-Type is wonderful but not standard - improvements have been made to enjoy it over long distances and if ever it arrived - daily driving ! A Z needs no changes :)

I'm surprised that there are so many that would swap now for the two choices - why haven't you one already ? How much have your Zs cost you ? Add it up and you may have the price of your choice right now !

Status - if you want to sell a car, please place it in the classifieds section !

sean darling
quote:Your family E-Type is wonderful but not standard - improvements have been made to enjoy it over long distances and if ever it arrived - daily driving

"utter hogwash seany the engine was converted to unleaded
the discs uprated for safety the wheels changed cos they look cooler
otherwise standard as left the factory!"
and its miles more than capable to do daily driving

quote 2: A Z needs no changes :)
rubbish havent you ever driven a standard one as it left factory on steel wheels enough said
AND "A Z needs no changes !! yeah right
IF A STANDARD ZED IS SO GOOD WHY HAS VIRTUALLY EVERYONE MODIFIED THEIRS
AND
THEN THERES YOUR PERFECT ZED
NOW THAT DIDNT NEED TO HAVE ALL THE MODS TO IT THAT YOUVE DONE IF A ZED NEEDS NO CHANGES

quote 3:
I'm surprised that there are so many that would swap now for the two choices - why haven't you one already ? How much have your Zs cost you ? Add it up and you may have the price of your choice right now !

an e type can sell for 25/30k and as most of us havent got that to spend on a sorted one and havent spent that on restoring our zeds , we would have the e type sell/keep it and buy more zeds but a standard uk spec e type will always be worth more than a standard uk spec zed ,
food for thought
how much have you spent on yours and how much can it sell for by comparison

quote 4 :
Status - if you want to sell a car, please place it in the classifieds section !

quite right and youve got more hair than both of us

pedal to the metal smithy
lol banner

Mr Lack,

Your E-Type also wears radial tyres - radical improvement over cross-plies and haven't you changed/uprated the cams and gearbox and the old dynamo too ?

Yep, for similar condition cars, Zs sell for half the price of E-Types but I've known people who've spent the price of an E-Type on their Z or let's say that during several owners, a car has had the value of an E-Type on work undertaken !

I'm currently doing mine for about your E-Type price and if I had to sell, I would expect to get around half back !
A Z is never an investment (financially) !

Yes, I have driven standard Zs and they're great. Yes, ideally, I would lower a tadge, fit slightly wider wheels and more modern tyres and uprate the brakes but I could happily cross Europe in all weathers in a standard Z ! Bugger that in an E and I can't comment on 'beetles' as my experience is very limited in those !

Why have people modified their Zs ? Because the potential was there - an E is already pushing out 260 odd hp which already feels 'nervous', why have people modified their 911s, also because the potential was there ! Also in the equation is that Zs had and still (relatively) little value standard so there is not much to lose to personalise ones' car ! You take a bog standard E and start playing and you've maybe lost 5-10 grand !

Your E-Type also wears radial tyres - radical improvement over cross-plies
SO WHAT
and haven't you changed/uprated the cams and gearbox and the old dynamo too ?
NO ITS STANDARD BUT REBUILT
Yep, for similar condition cars, Zs sell for half the price of E-Types but I've known people who've spent the price of an E-Type on their Z or let's say that during several owners, a car has had the value of an E-Type on work undertaken !
INTERESTING BUT NO JUSTIFICATION
I'm currently doing mine for about your E-Type price and if I had to sell, I would expect to get around half back !
A Z is never an investment (financially) !
EXACTLY
Yes, I have driven standard Zs and they're great. Yes, ideally, I would lower a tadge, fit slightly wider wheels and more modern tyres and uprate the brakes but I could happily cross Europe in all weathers in a standard Z
SEE YOUVE ALREADY MODIFIED THE STD CAR , BUT YOU COMPLAIN THAT THE E TYPE HAS TO REMAIN ON CROSSPLYS , TOTAL HORSES REAR END
! Bugger that in an E
IVE DONE EUROPE , SCANDANAVIA IN MY DADS TOTALLY A OK
EVEN THREW LIGHT SNOW RAIN OVER SOME ICE IN NORWAY AND SUNNY ROADS ROUND A RACE TRACK IN DENMARK OK I DID POP A CORE PLUG BUT FITTED A NEW ONE AT ROADSIDE AND CARRIED ON NO WORRIES
and I can't comment on 'beetles' as my experience is very limited in those !
HERBIE HAS FLAWLESS GRIP BUT I CANT COMMENT EITHER DRIVEN LOTS OF 911S THERE ALRIGHT BUT NOT MY BAG
Why have people modified their Zs ? Because the potential was there I AGREE- an E is already pushing out 260 odd hp which already feels 'nervous 'NO IT DOESNT ITS THE DRIVER THAT GETS NERVOUS , why have people modified their 911s, also because the potential was there I AGREE! Also in the equation is that Zs had and still (relatively) little value standard so there is not much to lose to personalise ones' car ! You take a bog standard E and start playing and you've maybe lost 5-10 grand !
I AGREE

PERHAPS youre comparison would of been better if you compared it with for example the illustrious ford capri , as when the e type was releast not only was it the fastest sports production car for sale by any manufacturer but its in a supercar class
although we all agree the 240z is a super car in itself its only a fantastic sports car
but no disrespect to the zeds as they are really fab
__________________put all that in ya pipe and smoke it
affectionately , im gonna easily overtake you on opposite lock in a go kart type of friend x

"and haven't you changed/uprated the cams and gearbox and the old dynamo too ?
NO ITS STANDARD BUT REBUILT" And I thought that you had C-Type cams and box ! Rebuilt, maybe, but with other internals !

Can't compare it with the Ford Capri, I believe it was way cheaper than the Z and I can't understand (compared to the 3ltr version) how anyone bought the Z - we are lucky they did !

Do some more homework, pick the cars to compare against and start another poll my pal !
I wasn't comparing the Z with the first generation E-type as it was no longer in production when the Z came out - it was the 4.2 - read my first post !

And Steve, whenever you want to go karting, I'll be there - the clock is ticking.......

I know you aint my lover boy 'cos I aint heard from you - my news is that as from next Tuesday Im jobless ! In spite of that, I have three attractive women guests at the house this week :)

Oh, and guess who's split up from her boyfriend - clue, they slept in a van at our wedding ! Stay well buddy !

Back