Designing brake systems

Russ

Club Member
Hello,

Can anyone recommend any books on designing brake systems please?

I can see how you go about putting different calipers on, and different discs, but I'd like to be able to pick parts from AP Racing (want a company local enough) and build a system from them, fabricate some adapters or something and have a perfectly balanced and suitable brakes. Obvioulsy you cannot just pick the biggest brakes and biggest discs that you can fit, there has to be more of a science to it than that, i.e. involving weight of car etc.

Anyway any recommendations are appreciated,

Thanks

I think the deciding factor on disc/caliper size is whether you can get the wheel back on over the disc diameter there have been some strange designs like Jag disc brake on the inside of the driveshafts near the diff, no probs with wheel clearence there..
There is probably a ratio of vehicle weight to stopping power of each wheel abit like your MOT brake force meter Test .All i remember from changing up to 4 pot calipers on my 240 and then having the brakes tested again after the 4 pots were fitted was how the pass % went from 76% upto 98% efficency with 4 pots as opposed to standard calipers.. great improvement.Another upgrade on the 240z brakes is to fit a 280zx larger bore Master cylinder 15/16 instead of 7/8ths
Hope this info helps abit of a ramble on!

Russ,

If I wanted to upgrade I'd just go straight to someone like MrF or Dave Jarman and say what works and how much is it?

It is so easy to get tied up in all the theory when these people already know the practical answers and can supply the parts!

As far as Zeds are concerned most things have been done before, so pick someone else's brains.

Rob

Russ,

I am having AP six pot calipers on mine all round with big vented discs - it can be done and is not too much of an issue. As I understand it (remember I am the customer not the engineer) they can be made to fit easy enough, it is then important to have a bias valve to sort out the amount of front / rear braking.

The advice I have been given (please nobody shoot me, I am the messenger) is that you can do it on the cheap and get decent results using donor calipers from other cars, you can go up to the likes of Wilwood and get mixed results, I have heard good and bad reports or you can go to Brembo and preferably AP if you want really well sorted stopping power.

Ballpark budget for AP all round is £3,500 to £4,000 if new but that should cover the lot.

Russ,
I have AP four pots on the front of mine. All I can suggest is take in all the info you can, e.g. AP/ones from other cars/etc and try sus out what you can take from that to cover your needs.
I think Russ is looking at the challenge of designing a brake system? Sometimes is good feeling to know you done something yourself. Am I wrong.....

Just my thoughts
Ian

Am afraid I will always bow to others that know :eek:

Got good vision but am a little challenged in the "how to" department.

Well as you know I'm fudging together an uprated brake system. I've ended up with 305x28mm front discs with Brembo 4 pots, from FIAT Coupe 20V Turbo/Alfa Romeo GTV. Just need to get the discs re-drilled to fit the hubs and the front will nearly be done. I'm going to use a 280ZX MC to get a bit of extra juice in the lines. As for the rears, I'm planning something pretty radical, so I ain't saying nuttin' as it might not work at all. I'll most likely add a proportioning valve between front and rear though, which is a bit of a cheat I know, but frankly my dear... ;)

I had looked at getting a set of AP Racing discs for the fronts but the costs were very, very silly, as I could get a set of aftermarket grooved discs for £150+VAT plus whatever the machining will cost.

It's been pretty interesting doing all the research, and I've even started to get my head around the mysterious would of braided hose fittings!

Cheers,
Rob

Back