Datsun 260Z 2+2 Restore or not to restore

rdfdr78

Club Member
Hello,

I have the above motor which i inherited from my dad when he passed away, it was his pride and joy to which i have kept and Mot and serviced for 5 + years now, i cant bring myself to part with it but have been thinking of late i may need to.
It`s in genral good nick and runs well, i am in two minds of what to do so am maybe playing with the idea of doing a restore to it, can anyone reccommend anyone for this? it would be good to see how much it would cost.
Also if i was to sell it would it be best if i did a full restore to it or sell it as it was for someone to have as there own project.

Help appreciated

Very confused of what to do with the car :)

Richard

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Hello,

I have the above motor which i inherited from my dad when he passed away, it was his pride and joy to which i have kept and Mot and serviced for 5 + years now, i cant bring myself to part with it but have been thinking of late i may need to.
It`s in general good nick and runs well, i am in two minds of what to do so am maybe playing with the idea of doing a restore to it, can anyone recommend anyone for this? it would be good to see how much it would cost.
Also if i was to sell it would it be best if i did a full restore to it or sell it as it was for someone to have as there own project.

Help appreciated

Very confused of what to do with the car :)

Richard

If it is running and MOTd then just sell it as is.
Whatever money you spend "restoring" it will be dead money .You will never get it back.
IMO
Pete
You are welcome to call me on 07778 411568 if you want any further info/advice/opinion etc

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
I say restore it and keep it in the family!! you can restore it over a few years and make a project out of it.

Jay

mick280

Well-Known Forum User
I agree with Jay on this one. Most hobbies / interests, don't make money for you (football, computers, beer!!!), there all money pits. The same as most jobs aren't hobbies - its there to pay the bills etc. Restore the car - the admiration from others and your enjoyment from it, will make up for the cost.

Mick

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i think it depends on how much of a restoration it needs and how much money you can afford to spend

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
I think your heart is getting in the way of reason and understandably so. If I read you right you don't have the expertise to restore it yourself and getting someone else to do it will cost you big bucks (relative to it's current condition of course) so IMO you should sell it unrestored. Let somebody else have the heartache and rapidly diminishing finances;)

Mr Ex

Inactive
IMO as it was your dads you should let a local bodyshop restore it if you can't, then you run it & feel proud of it.

zedboy

Club Member
I couldn't sell it if it was my Dad's!!!:( But I suppose it depends what youthink of the car? If you love Z's, then the decision is obvious.:D

rdfdr78

Club Member
It`s a really tough decison, it was his pride and joy and it has a lot of sentimental value, however i hardly use the car and dont give it the running it needs so it stays in the garage most of the time. I do not have a great knowledge of the car and would not even dare to try and carry any works out on the motor. It`s in really good conditon for it`s age bit i would say it need`s that little bit extra of tlc, it`s done 66000 miles and after a few runs down the M53 sounds n drives like it did all those years ago!
I dont have the passion that you guys have for this car but still it means a lot too me.
I think i may get a quote for a restore on the car enjoy it then maybe sell it next year, by then i may have changed my mind again!
Is there any where in the north west of england that deals in restores for this car, somewhere that is reccomended?

Thanks for your input guys

Richard

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
It`s a really tough decison, it was his pride and joy and it has a lot of sentimental value, however i hardly use the car and dont give it the running it needs so it stays in the garage most of the time. I do not have a great knowledge of the car and would not even dare to try and carry any works out on the motor. It`s in really good conditon for it`s age bit i would say it need`s that little bit extra of tlc, it`s done 66000 miles and after a few runs down the M53 sounds n drives like it did all those years ago!
I dont have the passion that you guys have for this car but still it means a lot too me.
I think i may get a quote for a restore on the car enjoy it then maybe sell it next year, by then i may have changed my mind again!
Is there any where in the north west of england that deals in restores for this car, somewhere that is reccomended?

Thanks for your input guys

Richard

What exactly is it you want "restoring"??
You could end up with a bill of £10K quite easily.And many on here are nearer £20K with "restoring
You need to specify exactly what wants doing.
Eg gearbox rebuild??
Engine?? to stock?? or modified??
Suspension??
Body panels/ respray??
Brakes?? renewed or uprated
New interior/retrim
etc etc etc

rdfdr78

Club Member
I think the car could do with a respray and there are signs of rust in various places, The brake`s could do with being renewed.and the tubing within the engine is showing it`s age and could do with replacing. Everything else is in good working order.