Colour of rear light surround 240z

George Watkinson

Club Member
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what is the right shade of grey to paint the 240z rear light surround set? See pic of the part I mean.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.
George

Attachments

• 7BB3468A-6FCE-46F4-B1CA-0E3443C1C0B8.jpeg
    7BB3468A-6FCE-46F4-B1CA-0E3443C1C0B8.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 26
If it’s the same colour as the 260z then go for the grey Ford Capri 2.8 i colour which is almost bang on

I used a Toyota grey from Halfords …

xefVbNjZ.jpg

A painter that did a proper apprenticeship back in the day will be able to match it perfectly if you want it bang on but as said the Ford Capri 2.8 i might be the nearest you will get straight out of a tin bearing in mind they were the same colour as the 260 rear panels

To quote Richie on the paint colour:

I then returned to various forum discussions in the US about the colour, and one that had undergone side-by-side comparisons with NOS parts in original paint and come out well was Ford Dark Shadow Gray, code CX-7039. So I ordered a can of the Ford (USA) colour (there is a Ford Europe version too but this may be different) in a custom mix aerosol from Paints4U and have given it a spin. MUCH better. Similar colour, but without the obvious blue tint. I will be using this for the ZG flares, rear panels and rear spoiler on the project Z. From the can, it has a near perfect flat/matt finish, although it may still make sense to lacquer it with a 2K satin or matt clear.

Is that the Capri colour Rich or similar
It's a US market shade, so won't be a Capri exactly. It was used on early-2000s USDM Fords including Focus, Mustang, Ranger, a couple of Lincoln models, etc. It's not something you can grab off the shelf at Halfords, but as I mention in the quote Matt used, you can order a custom aerosol of it easily from paints4U. It's good quality in a pro spray can. I used it for the rear trim panels and the rear spoiler for the project car. Looks excellent.

IMG_20211014_120803 (2).jpg IMG_20211014_120803 (2).jpg

Interesting discussion - mine is a light grey, but I've been contemplating changing to a darker colour. Wasn't sure if 260's were different to 240's?

Interesting discussion - mine is a light grey, but I've been contemplating changing to a darker colour. Wasn't sure if 260's were different to 240's?

All the same colour I believe and goes on grille, wheeltrims, numberplate light, spoiler etc.

Back