Clutch/Gearbox

tonyz

New Forum User
With engine running I can't engage gears.Manual says alter clutch pedal setting-done that to no avail.Car has been standing 6 months-is clutch jammed on? How can I free it up?
I am currently building a garage for car so do I need a Workshop to tackle job. Live in Derbyshire so want someone I can trust. Car is 1979 260Z- one of the last 2 seaters I believe. Please help.

Hi Tonyz
If you are a zclub member look in your magazine in the club directory section page 3 and give Richard Heathcote a ring on the no shown as he lives in Derby and should be able to help you, if not a member go to the contacts section of the website and you can find Richards email address there listed under the editor. if he can't help you he knows a few other people in Derby who could help you

1. Does the operation of the clutch pedal feel normal? If not, the problem may lie in the hydraulics.

2. If pedal feels normal, then the friction disc may have rusted to the flywheel / pressure plate. The gentle way to free it is to remove the gearbox and clutch assembly and clean up the faces. Reassemble with nice new parts......
The brutal and crude answer is to get the car out into a clear space, start it up in gear and give it some abuse up and down the road - this usually frees them up! (not that I recommend this approach; exercise all due caution; I absolve myself of all responsibility etc. etc)

Back