Classic car warranty-Is it worth it?

260zzz

Active Forum User
Alright before you all start sneering with contempt, I am a complete novice when it comes to mechanical knowledge. So was looking into the idea of getting a warranty- but are they worth it? AXA has offered me the following silver+ warranty for 199 a year- it covers the parts as outlined in this link: http://warrantyworks.co.uk/silver.jsp?type=cars

Claims can be made upto £1000 and I can choose a mechanic of my own choice. What do you guys think??? (I have a 240z with a n42 block, Eccs injection and a hybrid turbo).

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
In two words: don't know!

Are you sure a car like your's is covered, i.e. age and modifications?

Note the turbo definately is not covered as stated in the cover (non-standard).

Only time I have ever had any cover like this was when I bought an Audi 100 from a garage. It was worthwhile and saved me a few 'bob' but it was part of the deal.

How important is piece of mind to you? However you will probably have a fight any time you make a claim but it may work out for you. The biggest problem would be establishing the difference between wear and tear and unavoidable breakage.

With breakdown cover (domestic appliances etc not side of the road AA type cover ) I always take the risk as I will have a go at repairing things. I take the view that you are already giving yourself a breakdown bill of £199 before you start!

260zzz

Active Forum User
Thanks Rob- I have been told the engine would be covered but yes the turbo isn't.
I've not really owned a classic before or not one that I've intended to keep so peace of mind is important but I don't want to buy into something that's not really worth it. Hmmm...still undecided...:confused:

Mr.G

Club Member
Not a lot to go wrong on these cars so I wouldn;t worry too much.

I would get a trustworthy mechanic, who is experienced in older cars, give it a full service and have him on hand for routine maintenance. I would also join the AA or RAC and leave it at that.

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
yeah the key is a mechanic with an appreciation for the older stuff.

compared to todays stuff and other classics (e.g italians) these cars are straight forward with very few things that go wrong.