Classic And Sportscar Article

Sean,

It is a fairly standard article (penned by Mick Walsh) - detailing some statistics for both cars and recounting some fairly brief history - interestingly enough downplaying the Goertz contribution to the early Z and crediting Teiichi Hara, Yoshihiko Matsuo and Utsuki Chiba for contributions to engineering, external styling and interior cabin design respectively.

It also has a sidebar on other Z iterations (The Z Dynasty) with some summarised info and commentary on the 280ZX and 300ZX - no doubt the comment "Saddest, ugliest and rustiest" applied to Z31 will upset a few people.

For a 'balanced view' it also has short contributions from "Zedheads" (Len Welch, Geoff Jackson, Alan Thomas). Two of these favour the old over the new model and one doesn't overtly lean either way.

They level some criticism at the 350Z (poor rear vision, tyre and transmission noise levels, interior) but are certainly positive about the overall driving experience (particularly on the bendy stuff)

The 240Z is criticised mostly in terms of "in standard form", and they hint at tuning for chassis and engine as fixes for most shortcomings, though I guess being cooked alive in summer and crude rattles aren't included in this! I believe the 240Z they used (AWU 491K) - is the yellow one exhibited by Nissan which was restored by The Z Farm - I think Duncan may already have posted about that some time ago http://www.zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1638

Finally the photography is a bit disappointing - have definitely seen better.

In conclusion Mr Walsh declares himself more in favour or the earlier cars (albeit in full-spec, long nose 240ZG with twin sports exhaust guise) - and I guess a bias towards the older vehicle is unsurprising in a 'Classic' publication...

Originally posted by mikecart

It also has a sidebar on other Z iterations (The Z Dynasty) with some summarised info and commentary on the 280ZX and 300ZX - no doubt the comment "Saddest, ugliest and rustiest" applied to Z31 will upset a few people.
Hi,
Surely they mean the "most modern, fastest and rust free"?:eek:...certainly the most advanced and fastest, when compared to it's contemporary competitors such as Porsche etc....
Cheerz,
JEZ

I notice a few mistakes in the article, but surely its generally better than the Classic Cars magazine article a few months back? Maybe its a sign that things are getting better in relation to the history of the Z lineage in the press?

At least Matsuo, Chiba and Hara got a namecheck - which is more than you will see in most magazine articles that mention the S30-series cars.

It seems fairly pointless to 'compare' different series of cars with eachother and come up with some kind of conclusion that actually signifies something. Essentially, each new generation of car ( S30 / S130 / Z31 / Z32 and now Z33 ) should be judged on its own merits, with any comparisons being made between specific variants of that model. That's one of the big mistakes that the mags and web articles always make; they compare the "240Z" as the "Original" ( no it wasn't! ) to later generation Z models, but fail to mention that not all 240Z's were alike, and that other markets had other very interesting variants. They also forget - or don't know - that ( for example ) the US-market models were quite different in character and layout to the UK-market models. The Japanese-market had the biggest choice of models and specs, but they are almost universally forgotten or left unmentioned. Seems silly to compare apples with oranges when you don't mention if its a Granny Smith, a Cox's Pippin or Golden Delicious apple.................

Of course, Nissan are initiating this kind of comparison by talking of "Z DNA" in the ads and PR for the Z33 - so its inevitable that the press will pick up on it and make something of it.

I don't think anyone's long-held opinions are going to be changed by a magazine article, but I'm still waiting for the DEFINITIVE magazine article on the first-generation cars ( and I mean ALL the first generation cars ).

Well you had better get on with writing that DEFINITIVE article, and then see if someone will publish it!!

Originally posted by pmac
Well you had better get on with writing that DEFINITIVE article, and then see if someone will publish it!!

I can't. My views are "...illogical, unfounded and irrational." :D

Is anybody else actually interested in the full story anyway? I don't see much support. Everybody seems to follow the American line and ignores the big picture.

Not allowed to upset America these days you know;) :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement:)

Still need a few hundred more inquisitive souls willing to part with a little hard-earned for a 'vanity publishing' project. Not a lot of
them around in the "Z Community"............. ;) :D

Albrecht, you know that the Z club magazine would welcome your article, I think Steve Burns already mentioned it to you.
I would read it with interest, but i must admit the origins of the car is not a passion with me personally. What I find of much more interest is stories of people and their cars/lives. Some of the stuff you have written of your visits to Japan are really interesting and deserve a wider audience. Why dont you put old historic grievances aside and submit some of your already written features to the Z club magazine.
Remember that the Z club and the Classic Z register are only car clubs, and have, per se, no bearing on life itself!
I know its a bit corny but "Love cars, love people, love life"

Albrecht, I have to copy PeteMac and say that I'd like to read/see more of what's happened/happening in Japan re Zs so write 'em up. If no-one will publish your stories over there (and they wouldbe mad), you know Fred would over here !!!

If you need wonga to begin writing THE DEFINITIVE S30 book, I'll personally donate and I'm sure I can persuade our French Clubs' treasurer to sort something out !

Be careful, if you know me, you know I'm serious - I have a habit of putting my foot where my mouth is, sorry, that should read money of course !

Oh yeah, thanks Mikecart for the summary.
Not correct or fair to compare each series, how does a 2.4 MKII Jag compare with the latest ? Or a BMW 3.0 CL against the latest 645 ? Ridiculous !

If we want the correct story told, fair comparisons between Z/ZX models, informative and not muddled with age-old wives' tales then WE must write the articles ourselves and send 'em in to be published ! Has anyone ever tried this ? Can't stop them being re-edited but at least they would get the facts right to begin with - after all, if they then messed it up we'd know that it's not ignorance at fault !

Back