Carb problem 260z

mrzed

Club Member
Other than a blockage is there anything else that could go wrong with a flattop carb, it was running fine the other week now it seems like its only running on 3 cylinders, it's not electrical because I have replaced points dizzy cap ,rotor arm,ht leads and it is sparking ok,
is there a diaphram or any thing that could have gone inside or any other reason for suddenly not running good?
Fuel is getting to the carb.
The tank was replaced about a year ago from Pete mac and was a good second hand one which was cleaned before I fitted it .
Any ideas?

Check your condenser doesn't need replacing. I had similar problems on my 260 and a £2.50 new condenser solved it. I also got shut of those flat-top carbs which I always found troublesome and replaced them with some of the domed ones from a 240 - now miles better!

It's also had new plugs and condenser.
Are there any perishable rubbers inside the carb that could have gone?
And yes 240 z carbs would be great but people want silly money for them.

Sounds like a float valve problem to me. It sounds as though you have fuel starvation. You may have fuel getting to the carb but not through it. Sometimes the float needle sticks if you get a bit of dirt in it so you may need to take the top off the float chamber and check it. Presuming you only have 2 carbs and not triples, each carb services 3 cylinders which is why you think it is only running on 3.

Yes I only have 2carbs ,
I think it you could be right ,it was running good the other week then suddenly started playing up, it's something and nothing I'm sure,
thanks for the reply
I will investigate.

Back