Break or Sell as package?

camerashy

Well-Known Forum User
I'd normally not post a 'what should I do' thread but in light of some of the project cars on here potentially needing parts I may as well...

I presently have (as some are aware) a US LHD shell that started the base of a rather massive restoration project that, for reasons of time (rather than fixability) has been left on hold...

Since then...I've moved permanently to and taken a job in Canada...leaving me 'stuck'' with a car and numerous parts in the UK (some already in the classifieds), and I've since bought a 280Z here in Canada needing zero bodywork (previously a Tennessee car) and a perfect base for an epic new build.

With the car at present in storage are ...

Replacement 'Zedd finnings' floors - imported from Canada at great expense.
Replacement sill for the side that needs replacing.
Replacement doglegs for both sites
Replacement boot slam panel
Replacement 'Bad Dog' frame rails again imported from the USA - considerably stiffer, thicker than the originals - original replacements are also included.
Replacement roof with sunroof - although original roof can be used to reskin this to delete the sunroof.
4 new springs from MJP
4 new Tokico shocks from MJP

Which amount to a considerable total....

Bits I have for the car...are

• Original key (singular!)
  • Original gauges
  • Original steering wheel, column and rack.
  • Original hand brake, hand brake cables.
  • Original headlights, headlight holders, all front lights I.e. indicator lights.
  • Original wiper motor and mechanism
  • All original switch gear, interior heater panel, some heater tubes/demister tubes.
  • Original doors - both are perfect, no rust or pinholes.
  • Original door mechanisms, levers, handles, locks for whole car.
  • Loom is complete but would need some serious love and attention.
  • Original Grill.
  • Replacement fibreglass front wings/headlight buckets - they're tatty but would clean up fine, considerable weight saving on the originals, and are the single most prone to rust items on 240/260/280's.
  • Original front valance/corner panels of valance.
  • Original windscreen, original rear screen (glass good on both, no chips/cracks)
  • Sun visors, mounts, rear view mirror.
  • New (as on 2 years ago battery) - would need charge, new DI I presume.
  • Petrol filler flap.
  • Rear differential, halfshafts, propshaft

The car doesn't have any of the following, all of these parts are missing:

Tail lights
Front seats
Interior panels, inclusive of all plastic trim panels, door panels.
Interior trim
Running lights
Dashboard
Seat rails
Heater
Heater blower fan
Aerial (unsure on this last part).
Bonnet
Bootlid
Door glass and mechanisms - easy to find/get hold of the the zclub.net classifieds.
Brake lines
Drivers side inner fender - easily fabbed up relatively easily with sheet sheet, as the panels are NLA from anywhere short of scrapping another Z.
Engine
Gearbox

The logistics of trying to 'sell things' while the car is in the care of someone else is tenuous at best, so I'm leaning towards the 'sell it as a package' of a parts car/potential rebuild with alot of new parts.

Thoughts or advice appreciated.

Mods - if this is inappropriate don't hesitate to delete, just looking for sensible opinions on options really. :cheers:

If you have time break, and sell on ebay with good photos. You'll get more by selling individually then selling in one large lot.

How long do you have until you move?

Get listing!

I'm already in Canada...hence the dilemma :|

Every scenario you choose will have an upside and a downside.. I can see how difficult and complex this might be
Lets talk;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back