Brake issue

ozting

Well-Known Forum User
Hi All,
I Willwood superlite callipers on the front of my Z and accidentally nicked one of the brake pipes that feed from one side of the calliper to the other. So had a new bit made and bled the brakes or thought I did! after bleeding I checked the pedal and found it needed pumping to get a pedal indicating air in the system still. I didn't loose much fluid in the first place and quickly covered the reservoir with cling film to stop it draining further.
So I thought maybe I need to bleed both the front callipers so did that but the same problem. So does anyone know why this is am I missing something simple? Do I need to bleed all four brakes? or is there a special way of bleeding these brakes?

http://www.zclub.net/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

I had the same problem with these brake and just couldnt get a hard pedal. I think there is a way of bleeding these but not sure how. I drove mine home from the place I fitted them and they got better during the journey. Now they are fine. I wouldn't recommend this and I know its probably no help to you but thats what happened to me.

I would be interesting in hearing if there is an answer on this.

I didn't bleed the master cylinder and my reasoning been that the fluid loss was not enough to drain the reservoir. I worked quickly as soon as it happened to cap it and so I thought bleeding the line would be enough. Wrong?
I looked on the wilwood site and there is little about it really except to say you should only bleed the top bleed nipples but I only have one on these type so not much use. The nipple is really small also, takes a 6mm spanner to open and hard to get the hose on due to the pipe layout and the size. I will most likely take it to a brake place and have them do a vacuum job on it.

I had Wilwoods on my track car but not the ones with the link pipe.

Yes mine had small bleed nipples too. Tbh mine bled ok and I started with new calipers so lots of air, it was the input I had to be careful with to make sure I had a good seal. Make sure your new pipe is airtight. I bled all nipples starting at the bottom.

You seem to know what you are doing so have another go. Do them quickly with someone pushing the pedal for you e.g. down, tighten, up, undo, down, tighten etc I've tried 1 man bleed kits but I'd rather see the air myself.

Attachments

• SV207909.JPG
    SV207909.JPG
    675.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic Rob, Mine must be an older type or something different because as you know they have a link pipe feeding from one side to the other.

Back