Blue LHD resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnymd

Club Member
Picked up the first of my Cali purchases today so thought I'd start a thread to record its integration into the uk zed community.

Quick background on the car. Spent all its life in California. Never been painted but probably should have been a few years back. Paint has been burnt off by the sun in quite a few places and the previous owner has put grey primer over the bare metal. The panels all look super straight and panel fit is great all over the car. Terry took the car for a drive while I collected the second and gave me the thumbs up when I got back.

Now the bad bits: the underside has been bottomed out on a number of occasions and the cars has been jacked up in all the wrong places too many times. There is a small amount of rust to deal with on the floors and a bit under the battery tray but that's about it. The interior needs a good clean, dash needs repair and seats are worn. Needs a full weather seal kit (as with all Cali cars) along with brake hoses, fuel hoses and a few bushes underneath.

So, what's my plans for the car? Start by addressing all of the above and fix a few leaks underneath. I'll then take all the primer bit back to metal and etch primer to seal them. Then deside wheather to paint or not. Get the car mot'ed and uk registered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Lovely panel fit despite the challenges you mention Johny!!

Is that a harrington stainless steel bumper on back?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Picked up the first of my Cali purchases today so thought I'd start a thread to record its integration into the uk zed community.
Get the car mot'ed and uk registered.

So the cars' future is decided -taying within the UK and LHD ?

johnymd

Club Member
Maybe I should of said European community. I may convert one to RHD but at the moment I quite like the idea of keeping them all LHD.

Nothing's set in stone Sean.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Are we seeing the birth of the Essex "Z" mafia....don't upset them otherwise you'll wake up with a pair of flat tops next to you in bed.......:bow::p:p:p

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe I should of said European community. I may convert one to RHD but at the moment I quite like the idea of keeping them all LHD.

Nothing's set in stone Sean.
Exactly - keep the options open but there will be THAT moment when you'll need to decide :

LHD for no extra work and parts cost for a wider and emerging market or RHD to appeal to the limited but higher valued UK market although the resale value of conversions is open to debate and much discussed here.....

Are we seeing the birth of the Essex "Z" mafia..
There has always been a strong Datsun presence in Zessez - can we call it a rebirthing ?

"Rebirthing-breathwork is a type of breathwork proposing to cure disease and :

For disease read rust and for pain read withdrawal symptoms thumbs:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Are we seeing the birth of the Essex "Z" mafia....don't upset them otherwise you'll wake up with a pair of flat tops next to you in bed.......:bow::p:p:p

Brilliant!!!

I was thinking "a pair of flattops fitted to your z!!!!"

johnymd

Club Member
IMO Essex will always be the epicentre for zeds in the uk. Mainly because mike lives here.

Anyway, back to the blue zed.

Spent the afternoon at Terys, listening to the voice of reason and coming up with a plan for these 2 cars. The blue one needs a bit of work so I'll get on with that myself, starting this Saturday with the floors.

johnymd

Club Member
Sean - the problem I have is my love of zeds is so great that I don't want to sell any and only think about how to improve them. The word of reason says I need to sell a few. The black one has to go.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Love or not - you can only drive one at a time.

Maybe an all-out track Z and a road car would suffice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.