Bleed rear brakes?

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
I treid bleeding my brakes today on the back of my 240z but i found something stupid:

6897476425_ff928e9b42_b.jpg

The little bolt on the left was bolted to a little hole on the back of my cilinder, i expected something like the right one which came of a 260z rear brake cilinder.

Is this bolt normal? I cant bleed my brakes with a bolt..

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think you have a 'bodged' repair!

Good job you found it - I think you may find the thread is damaged.

New cylinder needed?

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
it is like this on both sides.. looks like it should look like that but i cant bleed brakes with that bolt in, and the thread is to small to fit any bleeding nipple in it. and i just took both of them apart to clean and rebuild..

6895088805_9455f7a300_b.jpg

it looks like there is some sort of brass bush pressed in that hole.

Really dont want to take it all apart again..

and new ones are quite expensive.. 260 ones wont fit i reckon? because i have 2 sets of those.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The angled surface between your thumb and finger... isn't that where the bleed nipple should be?

btw. that looks painful :smash:

Mr.F

Inactive
The bolt is in the hole where the brake pipe should be attached on a 240Z cylinder.
The broken rusty stub under your thumb is where the bleed nipple used to be.

Where was your brake pipe attached??? Is it that rusty bit sticking out the back?
The shape of the cylinder is different to what I have in stock - are you sure they aren't adapted from A.N.Other Datsun...?

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
It was painfull :)

The brake pipe was on the right, i cut that off because i couldnt unbolt it anymore. so yes it is the rusty bit on the back.
I dont know if they are from another datsun, they fit perfectly and the other parts fit on it too.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
The bolt is in the hole where the brake pipe should be attached on a 240Z cylinder.
The broken rusty stub under your thumb is where the bleed nipple used to be.

Where was your brake pipe attached??? Is it that rusty bit sticking out the back?
The shape of the cylinder is different to what I have in stock - are you sure they aren't adapted from A.N.Other Datsun...?

Spot on Mike
these are BODGED on from something else.
FFS No Hands throw them away and get some new ones .:thumbs:
They are complete scrap.:( IMO
the cost of new ones relative to crashing the car if the brakes fail is tiny. You have already bought new parts for the rest of the brakes.

Attachments

• Parts 2012 079 (Large).jpg
    Parts 2012 079 (Large).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 24

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Just looks like a normal earlyish Tokico wheel cylinder to me ( ??? ).

They have a long bleed nipple, a 'stopper' bolt ( to cover and seal a fluid passage drilling ) and a brake pipe connector coming in at an angle from the side.

Are you sure you're not just mistaking the 'stopper' bolt for some kind of "bodge"?

Pics of used and new for reference:

Attachments

• Tok-wheelcyl-1.JPG
    Tok-wheelcyl-1.JPG
    663.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Tok-wheelcyl-2.JPG
    Tok-wheelcyl-2.JPG
    667.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Tok-wheelcyl-3.JPG
    Tok-wheelcyl-3.JPG
    646.5 KB · Views: 12

Mr.F

Inactive
Haven't seen one of those early cylinders for the last twenty years! Where did you find that new one??
By now they have mostly been superseded by the later design (10/72 was the move to the current part number and 06/72 when the original design was changed).
Regardless - the stub of the bleed nipple is broken off and stuck firmly in the alloy casing so, in my opinion, the wheel cylinder illustrated is scrap...

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Haven't seen one of those early cylinders for the last twenty years! Where did you find that new one??

In the loft. Got all sorts up there - including the occasional bat...

Mr.F said:
Regardless - the stub of the bleed nipple is broken off and stuck firmly in the alloy casing so, in my opinion, the wheel cylinder illustrated is scrap...

Are we seeing the same thing here? In the first picture on the thread I see ( a ) bleed nipple - complete and seemingly undamaged - alongside ( what I think is ) the 'stopper' bolt and its copper washer.

Isn't it the ( hard ) hydraulic line that's snapped off ( crimped? ) in the top right of the second photo?

This stuff's actually a lot easier than some people make it. :confused:
No Hands - just look at the parts list diagram I posted, and go from there.

EDIT: If there's the broken-off stub of a bleed nipple stuck in the casting, then just throw it away! What's confusing me is that I'm seeing a snapped / cut off brake hard line on the casting too. Who did that?!!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
It is noted with the first picture that the intact bleed nipple came from another cylinder - I'm sure that the stub is broken in the casting in the cylinder in question, otherwise the bleeding query wouldn't have arisen.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If that's the case, then what is this thread all about....!?

Anybody who can't recognise a broken-off bleed nipple probably needs some kind of supervision if they're mucking around with brake systems on cars.

And what is the cut off / broken off brake hard line all about?

Scary...

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
i think it is all solved by me today.

6903916617_9ae5fd9205_b.jpg

Broken nipple or not, it totally blocked off that hole, tried pulling it out but it wont come out so i took out the "stopper" bolt cause i couldnt figure out what it was for. Drilled out the hole, made new thread in it, same as the 260z bleeder nipple and it seems to work fine, bled the brakes and the pedal feels right, no leaks anywere.

Ill replace them somewere in the future when i get my hands on another set of 240z cilinders.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
No Hands that type of engineering is fine if there is no option (or you live in India/Cuba). Well done for your efforts.

However if new cylinders are available EVEN I would buy those, and have done in the past. Brakes are a component of the car that have to work first time and every time without fail.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Drilled out the hole, made new thread in it, same as the 260z bleeder nipple and it seems to work fine, bled the brakes and the pedal feels right, no leaks anywere.

Ill replace them somewere in the future when i get my hands on another set of 240z cilinders.

As it's a safety issue, I'll happily GIVE you a good used cylinder casting to use instead of the one you have 'repaired'.

Just let me know where you want me to send it to.

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
Albrecht, thank you very much for your offer but please keep the cilinder for someone else that has to do an emergency repair to his or hers brakes it as i just bought two brand new cilinders form a member over here just so everybody can sleep well and dont have to bother about my brake rebuilding qualities :)