Been doing lots of work on my Z32 TT. (56k à no-no)

funkysi

Well-Known Forum User
Posted this up on the 'other' site...but if anyone's interested, thought I'd put it up here too.

Ok, this is what I currently have and this was pretty much how it looked when I bought it just over a year ago....

zed6.jpg

zed5.jpg

Then I decided on some more modern rims and got rid of the stock lights for some nice slick 99-spec units. Also, took all the orange off the car, so the little filters in the front indicators were removed with a pair of long nose pliers, wing indicators were also junked in favour of nice new clear ones.

fra4.jpg

fra5.jpg

Fancied the JDM rear spoiler and also wanted to remove the horrid finish on the lower part of the bumpers (like a stonechip effect that Nissan moulded into the plastic...nasty)...so I had that done, resprayed tailgate and it came out quite well....
So these were interim photos, but gives you an idea of what I've had done so far. Unfortunately, you can't tell from the photos, when I got it back, the old paint just didn't match the new paint at all. So decided on going in for a full respray in the same colour
Also fitted my new 3rd brakelight. Gives a nice crisp look....
rear1.jpg

back.jpg

rear2.jpg

smooth_2.jpg

smooth_1.jpg

smooth_3.jpg

smooth_4.jpg

smooth_5.jpg

So, took the car back which I'd stripped down to a point, took the bumpers, door handles, trim surrounds, fuel cap and everything else I could off.

Car is still missing loads of trim.

Building the car back up over the next few weeks, plus, the paintwork is being mirror polished, so should be even better than showroom.
Here are some taster pics. Bodyshop have done an absolutely fantastic job. Very happy with it. Can't wait to get it totally finished. :)
respray7.jpg

respray6.jpg

respray4.jpg

respray_5.jpg

respray_3.jpg

Nippers_Z016.jpg

Nippers_Z009.jpg

Nippers_Z017.jpg

Nippers_Z006.jpg

respray9.jpg

respray7-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course we're interested!

That looks simply superb mate. I'm glad you removed the stone chip effect, I had thought of doing the same but wasn't sure of the results (not that I have a Z32 yet) but it looks well worth doing :)

Tastefully done, I likey!

Thanks mate. Whilst I had the front end in peices, I cleaned up all the under trays, IC vents and everything. Best thing I've done is replace the hideous 1984 Datsun Cherry DX horn with a beefy quality sounding dual tone horn from an Omega. Now has a horn to go with the looks! LOL, took great pleasure in binning the old crappy green horns.

I have an omega, I'll check out my horn when I'm driving it later ;) :)

Hey you're in Glastonbury! I was there today, went to an auto jumble at Shepton Mallet, had to sit and wait for bloody carnival carts going through Glasto :( Hate em. Make sure you come to our SW meets :)

Russ said:
I have an omega, I'll check out my horn when I'm driving it later ;) :)

Hey you're in Glastonbury! I was there today, went to an auto jumble at Shepton Mallet, had to sit and wait for bloody carnival carts going through Glasto :( Hate em. Make sure you come to our SW meets :)

Yeah, most Vauxhall horns are actually pretty good. Made by Hella, so can't be bad.

I am indeed in Glastonbury although was working on my Z today out where I store it near Wells.

Where abouts are you from in Somerset then?

I went to one meet last year, joint 300ZX and ZClub meet in Weston Super Mare.

Would like to do more stuff next year as mine will be up to a reasonable standard. :)

Taunton/Bridgwater me, nothing much to show though, just a 240z shell on bricks lol.

I'll remember to remove my horn before I sell the car ;)

Russ said:
Taunton/Bridgwater me, nothing much to show though, just a 240z shell on bricks lol.

I'll remember to remove my horn before I sell the car ;)

Oh right. I'll have to pop over some time. I work in Bristol and drive through Bridgy most days.

A 240Z is still a 240Z. :)

Hi,
Nice looking Z32!...They look good in pearl white and the 99 spec rear spoiler sets it off nicely!
Shame to get those nice clean exhausts dirty though!....They're cleaner than mine!;)
exhausts3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fantastic si i know your not a fan of modding but i think i 99 spec front end on that would look even better ;)

I'm one of those strange people that actually like the original front end. If I do change anything, it'll be to add the stillen stuff, but going to keep the car as it is for now. Just a leather retrim to do and a brake/suspension upgrade.

Had Brazo from Detailingworld come to give my new paint the final cut to give it that mirror last month. All in a a 9hr detail to remove any haze, OP and buffer trails.

Wet sanded about 75% with 2k for the worst bits and then 3k for much of the rest of the car in the end to get the paint to the next level.

Here's a 50:50 shot of the nose panel, part wet sanded

halfshot.jpg

A full shot.

fullshot.jpg

The tailgate, before shot, showing haze and light OP that was robbing the paint of shine and reflection.

opbefore.jpg

3k wet sanded then Menzerna 3.01 via rotary. A shot of the otherside just polished for comparison note paint is sharper and glossier

opafter.jpg

Bit of bumper action

me.jpg

Seeing as the car isn't yet fully complete not your normal afters but some close ups!!

OPafter2.jpg

noseafter.jpg

frontquarter.jpg

A few with the brinkman, tricky shots on white!

closeup4.jpg

closeup2.jpg

Final shot, showing a nice crisp image in the paint.

closeup.jpg

Wow... indeed!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Makes me feel guilty about not polishing mine now. Perhaps when I've finished putting the HID's in I'll get the cutting compound and buffer out before I take it back out of the garage! :eek:

Back