At Last in colour

Fairlineguy

Club Member
A few months later than planed . Received the attached photo from my painter to show that the car is at last in colour.
Can't wait to go over to see it.

d56843818e4b3eaaf583a8d70644088f_zpsk6jurhtg.jpg

uk66fastback

Club Member
Fantastic. So is this still Datsun 918 or a very close match? I'm sure I read somewhere if a lot of 918 cars meet in the US etc, the variations are many!

Is an 100% accurate match using modern paint possible? Is there a code for it still?

You must be aching to get over there, I know I would be ... !

Once you see a shell in paint, it just makes everything you took off the car look, well, sub-standard, one thing leads to another and a year later, you're putting the finishing touches to a 100% resto!

Love it though!

Fairlineguy

Club Member
I didn't stay with the original 918 as a sample spray out looked a bit to terracotta for my liking
(Wanted a slightly pastel orange.)
It was a toss up between going Repsol orange but ended up with this VW orange.
Will be interesting to see it in the day light and once it's been cut back and polished

This was my match of 918, it looked spot on to me, the engine bay has been stripped back again since this.

Under the spray booth light it looked like this...

SacCyclone

Club Member
As two of my s30's are orange, I'm partial to this color for sure. Beautiful job so far and can't wait to see the final result.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Called in this morning to have a look at paint work .Still waiting de nibbling / polishing but looking good in natural light

d3b7d7965c10efebc535934487d33ce3_zpsevflkojp.jpg

85e71190e19e13ca43b5e1178ce3a3a4_zpszewk9o9t.jpg

3d1136dc0f64b540c867de27dc8ac982_zpsldrjt4k9.jpg

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Here are a couple of pictures of her before swop to RHD
At least all the dirty stuff is done she was originally orange 918

fdfe671a11b4badea4bcab674a8a078c_zpsldbhvrwt.jpg

f497873f712c6eb0afbc8bf941429a1e_zpsisqchfug.jpg

57f77637d10aa14708365878fe1c9e33_zps70pcucfw.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Looks really nice. Good colour choice, and all the more so since it was originally 918.

Is that a 'late' (post '73?) bulkhead doubler panel? Is that going to have an impact on what you can/can't mount to it?

Are you keeping the original HLS30-prefixed chassis number?

Registration number on the trailer made me smile...

uk66fastback

Club Member
Looks fantastic. I didn't realise this was once a LHD import until now.

Seems like this should be one of the reference pieces on the club site - a definitive guide to changing a LHD S30 to a RHD one ... no doubt there are loads of things you have to do, change, fab up, block off, weld up, buy, sell etc to do it.

Unless there's a comprehensive guide on the 'net already somewhere. But with not that (m)any being converted in the US (why would you?) I'm guessing not.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Looks really nice. Good colour choice, and all the more so since it was originally 918.

Is that a 'late' (post '73?) bulkhead doubler panel? Is that going to have an impact on what you can/can't mount to it?

Are you keeping the original HLS30-prefixed chassis number?

Registration number on the trailer made me smile...

Want to keep the HLS30 chassis number and get an age related plate .Car is March 1970
I will have to use some of the later donor car hard wear with the bulkhead plate.
Have tried to replicate the bulkhead as best as possible .its now hard to tell that it was once LHD

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Looks fantastic. I didn't realise this was once a LHD import until now.

Seems like this should be one of the reference pieces on the club site - a definitive guide to changing a LHD S30 to a RHD one ... no doubt there are loads of things you have to do, change, fab up, block off, weld up, buy, sell etc to do it.

Unless there's a comprehensive guide on the 'net already somewhere. But with not that (m)any being converted in the US (why would you?) I'm guessing not.

Nice to know that the conversion passes the test.
There was more to it than I first imagined .I wanted the bulkhead especially to look correct .

Want to keep the HLS30 chassis number and get an age related plate .Car is March 1970
I will have to use some of the later donor car hard wear with the bulkhead plate.
Have tried to replicate the bulkhead as best as possible .its now hard to tell that it was once LHD

Good man. What's your chassis number? Mines Oct 70.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Well she is at last home from the paint shop.Some very tender moments loading and un loading from the trailer .
Now where to start?

86cf4b91e4f41a08420836618131798d_zpsqw0wnddj.jpg

4fe1eff955c8308bcc7b6ef1104fea1e_zpspaxt0nru.jpg