Any Driving Tuition Experiences?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My eldest son will be 21 on March 15th and is considering a driving tuition day as a present to remember. He has driven my 240 on trackdays at Oulton Park and Donington and also had a KX100 MotoX bike when he was 14 so he has some experience. His ideal day would be 1 to 1 tuition, preferably on a track in something special, although a Rally Day is not out of the question. There are lots of companies offering driving experiences and I am spoilt for choice. I want to avoid spending a fortune on classroom tuition and a few laps of an artificial airfiled circuit at very restricted pace. Do any members have experiences of their own which they can recommend. It seems that for a good day it is going to cost £300.

Rob, not exactly what you're after I know, but many years ago I went on a couple of driver training courses that were run by my local council and Police (yes, really). There were about half a dozen "classroom" sessions which covered observation techniques, defensive driving and elements of car-control that the police advanced drivers train in. Then there was a session on a police skidpan and a trip out in an unmarked car (with a frighteningly skilful driver)... commentary and all. Very interesting, and a lot of common sense. And not a speed camera in sight in those days!

I don't know if these classes still exist anywhere. Hopefully they do. I was about 21 then, and I still remember some of it 16 years later!

TL

Thanks guys these were 2 very good replies however we eventually went for the London Rally School ( Bicester).

I hope your son has a great time (go on, be honest, it's for you isn't it???).

I wouldn't mind a go at that myself!

TL

Back