A Very Desperate Man

RAFIKI

Forum User
I have had no luck with getting my 300zx up and running. I have supplied two manuals for 300zx one from Haynes and US one from Chiltons to my garage. The have also been in contact with Nissan & Bosch and seem to have found the problem. But the wiring diagrams they have in the books and from Nissan & Bosch to not match mine. They are saying as it is an Import that the wiring must be different.
So where can I get a wiiring diagram for a Japanese imported 1988 300zx z31 non-turbo automatic RHD.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLP

What is the problem then?

Try sending a PM to Mr.F he may be able to help you with a manual.

wiring

ECU error messages not recognised in uk manuals or by NIssan Uk. It all revolves around the fuel

You've come to the right place Rafiki, Mr.F & the rest of the crew will guide you in the right direction. DJZ 60.:rolleyes:

We may need more info about the car - which engine, particularly? My 200ZR, for example, does not self-diagnose in the manner of a normal Z31, but has to be treated as if it is a 200SX of S13 variety. There are five separate diagnostic modes available of which Mode 3 is the most useful and will provide standard diagnostic codes once selected. Briefly:

Dismount ECU but don't unplug - so you can see the LEDs. Warm engine up if possible.
Turn diagnostic mode selector fully clockwise and watch flashes of the LEDs. When you see a group of three flashes, turn diagnostic mode selector back fully anti-clockwise. ECU is now in Mode 3 and may show one or more of the following codes in a cycling sequence:

11 (one red flash, one green flash): crank angle sensor
12 (one red, two green): air flow meter
13 (one red, three green): engine temperature sensor
21 (two red, one green): ignition signal
34 (three red, four green): detonation sensor
43 (four red, three green): throttle sensor
55 (five red, five green): all normal operation

Modes 1 and 2 can be used to monitor mixture ratio in catalyst equipped cars. (not used in non-CAT models).

Mode 4 can be used to monitor switching by idle switch, ignition switch and operation of the vehicle speed sensor.

Mode 5 can be used to measure momentary malfunctions in crank angle sensor, air flow meter and ignition signal - useful if fault is intermittent and not triggering a fault code in Mode 3.

Quite searately, if you suspect fuel delivery, check:

1. Operation of fuel pump
2. Pressure level in the system
3. Clicking of the injectors when cranking (use an automotive stethoscope or the screwdriver to the ear method).

Are the spark plugs definitely firing? Check them all!

Are cold start mechanisms resetting to cold condition? e.g. what is the resistance of the ECU water temperature sensor and is the throttle by-pass valve open when cold?

BTW, you won't easily find any JDM workshop manuals easily or specific wiring diagrams, but the general principles should remain the same...

Back