A question of taste. 350Z

viniboy

Well-Known Forum User
I really fancy a 350Z. Ok not just yet. But soon enough I may be in a position to buy one. I dont know much about them really. I just think it looks great and as its a "Z" (33) think its great anyway. I have been told its got a french engine? I dont even know if its Turbo'd or just N/A. I know that in standard guise it wont beat a 300ZX (32) but so what? If I want to go really fast I will still have my Z32. Anyway I thought this might well be the best place to ask. So. I'm asking please.....can anyone give me some facts and figures on this lovely car?

I thank you in advance...........

Vince.

viniboy

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for that bud. It wasnt Clarkson mate. I wouldn't take notice of him if he told me my car was red. LOL. It was from the another source......300zx forum i got that info.
It wouldnt bother me anyway. there are so many clones nowadays that you just dont know what you are getting? I was told that the VW passat was the same as an Audi A4, which dosent surprise me VAG and all but I also learned that the chassis of both the passat and A4 was shared by the new Mondeo? That did. I am deffinately turned on by the 350Z but want to keep the Z32 Will have to see what the new year brings forth. My Volvo would stand me a decent deposit.

Very nice site you have there.

Many thanks :350Z: + :Z32: =:D :cool:
Vince.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
How come a new 3.5 litre twin turbo 'only' give 400 ps when the Z32 with 3litre and twin turbos can give towards 600 ?

Russ

Club Member
Mr.F does a nice supercharger kit for it :) I'd have thought a blower would have been more in keeping with the N/A feel.

GrantW

Forum User
Who's running 600 on stock internals then? You have to bear in mind the Z33 engine is designed as high compression N/A, it would require much more modifying than a Z32 engine to run more than boost than Veilside is running (about 8psi).
SeanDezart said:
How come a new 3.5 litre twin turbo 'only' give 400 ps when the Z32 with 3litre and twin turbos can give towards 600 ?

Mr.F

Inactive
I know that in standard guise it wont beat a 300ZX (32)
Is this because you saw it on TV (with Jeremy "anti 350" Clarkson) driving or because you saw it on a DVD with Clarkson driving (so slowly he was almost caught by a 260Z) or because you spoke to someone who had seen one of these events? In the real world, stock for stock, the two cars have virtually identical acceleration performance, the same limited top speed (U.K. car vs U.K. car) but the 350Z has more sophisticated handling (IMHO - no doubt Z32 owners will want to contest that) and better brakes. Plus all the U.K. cars are 2 seater and manual whereas all U.K. Z32s were 2+2 and 60% of them were auto...:devil:

With JDM import 350Zs you will have the option of a nice Tiptronic auto, but careful you don't get sold short on interior quality, the brakes and the handling, particularly with the earlier versions.

The Renault engine thing is a Top Gear generated myth brought about by poor research by the presenters (you know I mean Clarkson or his direct research team...).

viniboy

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.F said:
Is this because you saw it on TV (with Jeremy "anti 350" Clarkson) driving or because you saw it on a DVD with Clarkson driving (so slowly he was almost caught by a 260Z) or because you spoke to someone who had seen one of these events? In the real world, stock for stock, the two cars have virtually identical acceleration performance, the same limited top speed (U.K. car vs U.K. car) but the 350Z has more sophisticated handling (IMHO - no doubt Z32 owners will want to contest that) and better brakes. Plus all the U.K. cars are 2 seater and manual whereas all U.K. Z32s were 2+2 and 60% of them were auto...:devil:

With JDM import 350Zs you will have the option of a nice Tiptronic auto, but careful you don't get sold short on interior quality, the brakes and the handling, particularly with the earlier versions.

The Renault engine thing is a Top Gear generated myth brought about by poor research by the presenters (you know I mean Clarkson or his direct research team...).

No. No. and No. :D

I was infact speaking more along the lines of my own Z32. Ok I should have been more specific but it wasnt the reason I started the thread. I was asking about the facts not quoting them. Rumours rumours rumours. or all fact. you know what i mean? As I said, I am not very familiar with the car. you cant just buy a car because you like how it looks. well i wouldnt. so my intentions were to eliminate the rumours. The Z33 Vs Z32 was supposed to stop the ignition of any Z32 owners escaping gases because we all know you cant beat a Z32. I should know.:devil: :D
I would like to add that whatever jeremy Clarkson says is poppycock. the mans an arse because he says what he thinks you dont want to hear. we cant all afford a shiney red ferrari. (i wouldnt want one anyway) not that fond. So let him praise a car because its a million pounds we know the japs make a fine sports car dont we?
Regards Vince

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
We are also at a point in time when very few Z32s remain unmodified by at least a little bit and Z33s will fast catch on to the modification route. However, it is fair to say that it is much easier to make significant improvements to a turbo car for little effort, but the normally aspirated 350 responds relatively poorly to changes in induction and exhaust requiring forced induction to get it back on par. Hence the term "stock vs stock" is is pretty unlikely description in the real world associated with these two particular models

viniboy

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.F said:
We are also at a point in time when very few Z32s remain unmodified by at least a little bit and Z33s will fast catch on to the modification route. However, it is fair to say that it is much easier to make significant improvements to a turbo car for little effort, but the normally aspirated 350 responds relatively poorly to changes in induction and exhaust requiring forced induction to get it back on par. Hence the term "stock vs stock" is is pretty unlikely description in the real world associated with these two particular models
Thats a very good point. I bet 10 years ago a modified Z32 was a very rare sight? and as you say it will no doubt become the turn of the Z33 in a few years well less maybe. as the trend is now leaning towards custom cars hitting the streets within weeks of being bought. But. My ambitions are still quite firm. I want one. :350Z:

Nice topic thanks for your input.
vince

viniboy

Well-Known Forum User
My first sighting of the Z33 was in a showroom in Dunstable. The only thnig about it I didnt like first off was the door handles. I am quite sure that I will have one soon enough. Maybe within a year or so. I want to keep my 300ZX tho. I am sure they will be available for about 10-13K soon. It might be then that I take the plunge.:350Z: :D