370Z test drive at the Nissan Race Academy

TheMinel

Well-Known Forum User
I was lucky enough to test drive the 370Z around the south Silverstone circuit today for a few laps, then on the roads around SIlverstone.

Overall great hospitaly by Nissan, and very good setup they have there. I was really impressed, free food and drinks, great instructors and overall they let you rag the cars as much as you wanted to!

I was a bit unsure whether to go to this but I decided it was a good opportunity to put more miles on my engine, and wasn't disappointed by the event, or the car, at all.

On the track I ended up in a group of about 8 other people (including a couple individuals with a nice "forum sponsored" fleece, so was expecting a little rivalry there ahah).

Suffice to say I won the group, (I guess my lucky karting shoes must have made the difference, despite the fact I had them on because of my twin carbon clutch in the 350Z...) bagged myself a passenger lap in the GT-R with Lucas Ordones at the wheel, who wasn't hanging about around the circuit. Now THAT is a proper weapon, nevermind the 370Z. I'll have to find a way to get one. Absolutely unbelievable drive.

Back to the 370Z. I knew it looks ugly as I saw it in the flesh when doing the rounds at the Nissan Performance centres, and I didn't change my mind today, and I even prefer the 370Z roadster to the coupe... even with the roof up ahah.

The drive, though, is indeed very good. I had a paddle shift one on the track and it handled beautifully, power delivery was maybe a bit lazy (my Z is already faster than the 370Z even in the current untuned state LOL) but very refined, very quiet, maybe even a bit too quiet for my tastes! Good brakes too.

On the roads, first thing I did was switch the ESP off and give it a bit of welly (Hi maccaman! :) ) and again, I was quite satisfied with it all, the synchro rev system worked well on the road too. Great seats, even better than the 350Z ones.

Would I buy one? MAYBE if and when I sell my 350Z, but for overall performance I'm quite happy having done the conversion on my 350Z, although it's a completely different beast obviously. For £27k, the 370Z IS a complete bargain, much like the 350Z was when it came out

Oh and hi to Mike 350Zdoc, I know he's a member on here too. I was looking forward to say hi to Mr.F but he canceled at the last minute

Sadly I ended up with a customer's car held over in the workshop that had to be collected today, so that put paid to my ride - shame, was really looking forward to this.

And now I'm being told that the weather on Sunday will be s**t for the Goodwood Breakfast on Sunday...:(

I went the other week too. Lucas drove me round in his 350Z.

Top job Nissan - it was quite an event :)

Back