280zx Radiator Leak

fae821w

Club Member
When i got my old 280zx back the car had several coolant leaks.I changed the radiator with another second-hand one(that seemed to stop that leak) and then i had my local garage change both the heater water cock and the t-piece on the block,which were also both leaking,the rad cap was also renewed.

I seem to have stopped the water into the footwell but the problem is i now have this second radiator leaking slightly,probably due to the pressure increase after sorting the other leaks.

Advice needed please,do i add one of those leak-stop additives,get one of the radiators i have repaired,or source another new or second-hand.

Have never used the leak-stop additives,are they any good?,will i cause more harm than good?

Anyone know a good radiator repair firm local to me in Gloucestershire?

Does anyone have a good radiator they can sell me?

Any help or advice welcomed.

Andy. :cheers:

My thoughts:

There must be some good secondhand radiators out there.

An additive MIGHT work but would you trust it on a hot summers day stuck in traffic?

I have had permanent repairs done on rads. very cheaply in Coventry.

I had my existing rad recored completely striped new core heat painted and pressure checked think it was £120 was like brand new great job nice bloke
J&J radiator repair Coventry tel 02476226263

Hope this helps

Derrick :thumbs:

Simple,you get wot you pay for and you got it unfortunately,get your rad recond simplest and easiest way

If you want to use an additive I swear by BARS LEAK. Used it as a precautionary measure in all my rally cars and other applications. Don't use RADWELD in any circumstances as it clogs waterways.

I have you k-Seal it has stoped my water loss it covers quite a lot of different other means of water loss i.e head gasket repair Block/Head sealer Radiator Stop-Leak. & you dont have to drain off any anti freeze you have in your car i would recmend it and have told my mate about K-seal he had a leak on his small radiator under the back of his dash. Cued it straight away hope this helps Raymond

K-Seal is good in my experiance but I chose to have my radiator re-cored eventually. There is a rad in the classified at the moment but it from a manual 280ZX.

Re.280zx Radiator leak.

Hi All,

Bought some k-seal,as recommended by Mike and others,with the intention to stop the rad leak for now and then to get my original rad refurbished.

However,before i could get that far,i noticed water had started finding its way into the footwell again so took the car back to my local garage.The work on the heater valve change was ok but the matrix had also now started to leak!!!!

They used the k-seal and at the moment both the rad and matrix leaks appear sorted,but have not had chance to run the car myself as its been sorned.

Due to tax the car next week and change the Sport back-box at Longlife so will get a better idea if the leaks have stopped then.Hopefully i can then use the car through the summer and address the matrix and rad problems in the winter,when its laid-up. :driving:

Is the heater box removal a reasonable job for someone not a mechanic to undertake?,wheres the best place to send it for repairs?

Many thanks for the replies and advice so far.

Andy.

Andy Minto.
Looked in the classifieds for the 280zx manual rad but could only find one for a 300zx,could you point me in the right direction please.

It's in the members only section at the moment, but you should be able to see it Friday/Saturday when it goes into the normal for sale section

Back