280zx - keeper or sell?

DocS30

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guys,

I am coming into a very clean all original (except wheels) mint condition 280zx (naturally aspirated). I found the car whilst looking for a 280z. It has very low miles, perfect interior (brown), perfect exterior (silver), all original paint, and is mechanically perfect as well.

A fellow datsun enthusiast has told me to buy it and keep it as they are becoming valuable and rare. But I was looking for a "project" car to build. Preferably a S30. That and I couldn't modify such a great example of a stock 280zx either.

It's RHD as I'm in South Africa. What do you guys think?

Thanks for sharing the information.

Is it a 2 seater or 2+2, T roof ? Any pictures?

Forgot to mention - being a highveld car this car has zero rust issues either.

IMG_2011.jpg

http://s2.postimg.org/y9uv5gag9/IMG_2009_1.jpg[img]

[img]http://s4.postimg.org/yhj0x46m5/IMG_2002.jpg

Car belong to a elderly gentlemen who unfortunately has passed on. His wife is selling all his cars now. AC cobra just sold yesterday as well.

2 x 2+2 ZX's left.

How much does it cost to ship it to the UK for you guys?

I would be happy to sell it at around 4k pounds.

There is probably at least £1500 in shipping and import expenses...
Still good value for a rust free manual 280ZX.
The UK could do with an injection of quality 280ZX models to replace our rotting stock!

That looks excellent. In the UK it would be worth at least £7000 - £8000.

Mike,are there any 280zx's ( 2 seater or even 2+2 ) that have sold for that kind of money? I must confess I have yet to come across one which actually sold for > £5k:p

S30's never came to our country. There are about 5 or so examples here in the hands of collectors. They hide them away. Such a shame. I want one to drive around every day!!

But back to my original question, would you guys consider this a keeper or should I let her go? Due to the lack of s30's I imagine the S130's will become more valuable with time here.

I know of 510 SSS coupe's that have gone to the UK for 6000+

re there any 280zx's ( 2 seater or even 2+2 ) that have sold for that kind of money?

I wouldn't make that claim if I didn't know of several £6K+ examples. The rust free bit is crucial with a high value 280ZX as restoration costs are high compared to S30 and parts much more difficult.

I know of 510 SSS coupe's that have gone to the UK for 6000+

The known 510 coupes that have come from ZA to UK in past 24 months have been project cars and sold here for less than what you quote above. Having said that there may be a private import or two that is unknown in the wider datsun community ;)

Also I believe that one cant compare a 510sss coupe to a S130 2+2. The 510 sss 2 door coupe was only available in Japan and ZA where they were assembled under licence...There is now a worldwide demand for these cars and good examples are shifting for US$20-30k as the 2 door coupe is seen as more desirable to the 2 dr saloon which is more readily available in USA.

Also the 510's competition success in both rallying and track duties makes them appealing to potential buyers when compared to the S130.

However the international market is a strange place and there are large regional variances in terms of prices .

A mint 280zx will sell in USA for US$15k +, whereas same car struggles to make half that here in UK; A mint 510sss 2 door coupe will sell for US$25k in USA but again struggle to make half that here in UK.

The UK market for anything non 240z is not mature IMHO :rolleyes:

Due to the lack of s30's I imagine the S130's will become more valuable with time here.

I imagine the same but S130 will never have the value of a S30 due to design and sportivity. Both will grow I think.
In same idea :
2+2 are less valuable than 2 seaters in each family.
S130 less than S30
Sedan Laurel are less valuable than S130...

For some reason, collector mostly looks for sports...

That is probably a mistake because S130 would deserve.

and there are strangely very rare in the shows despite they should be more numerous than S30

probably flows of USA S30 biaises the perception here.

The car is growing on me every day. I can even use it as a daily and sell my e92 :eek:

has a/c, e/w, p/s, l28.

I can get hold of a s30 260z 2+2 fully restored original but I almost like the s130 more than the 2+2 s30. To be the s30 2+2 reminds me of a ford capri.... It has very little resemblance to the 2 seater version with that roof line.

ps: I bought the s130 with plans to sell, but after owning it for a day I decided to keep it. I was offered a lot for it by someone collecting them but decided to keep her.

Back