280ZX dyno session

Mr.F

Inactive
Not something you see everyday - a 280ZX on a rolling road. This session done recently at Thurston Engineering's dyno facility with Peter in charge. Having scared him with a 500bhp run with a Z32 last week, this was a little more docile!

This coupe has a six branch exhaust and a larger throttle body. Produced 153 bhp at the flywheel but with a diagnosed ignition advance problem (too much too soon) and a rich mixture. Owner Digger Broderick has gone away to rebuild the distributor and investigate the cold start enrichment mechanisms...

Attachments

• Z car dyno test 001 (Large).jpg
    Z car dyno test 001 (Large).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Z car dyno test 002 (Large).jpg
    Z car dyno test 002 (Large).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 44
  • Z car dyno test 003 (Large).jpg
    Z car dyno test 003 (Large).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Z car dyno test 004 (Large).jpg
    Z car dyno test 004 (Large).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Z car dyno test 005 (Large).jpg
    Z car dyno test 005 (Large).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 43
  • digger280base024.jpg
    digger280base024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a manual?

Hoping to dyno mine at the end of the month, although it's an auto (currently)

Just inquiring
Is that definitely rwhp Mike as the dyno sheet says "corrected"
Plus 153 rwhp is around 190 flywheel which you would only see with some compression and a cam

Yes I know some dyno operators dont like flywheel as its "a guess" but the dyno at Thurston does have the facility

Is that definitely rwhp Mike as the dyno sheet says "corrected"

Corrected my post - having a blonde moment of wishful thinking...yes, flywheel horsepower as anyone who has tuned a stock injection 280ZX would have realised...

Early car as all our 2 seaters were, but with late bumpers. Early cars had 140bhp, 147bhp for the facelifts.

Deeeeeerrrrrr !

Another blonde moment - only looked at the rear and saw what I thought were 2+2 seats.......!

Thanks mate !

Thankyou father.....but I don't feel totally absolved - I should have noticed the space between seat top and head-rest.................I'll go and light a candle.

Back