280zx 2-seat Coupe Headlining problem.

fae821w

Club Member
Can anyone help with the Headlining problem on my 1981 280zx 2-seat Coupe.

I assume it has been replaced from original,but there is now what looks like tan baize cloth which sags.The colour match is good and i am sure if i could somehow lift it then it would look ok.

What was there originally,was it a vinyl covering over a board?

Has anyone an original?

I have searched the forum,without much success,suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Derrick,

No,its not the Targa Top type.

So i assume you have vinyl in yours,did you replace during Resto?

Regards,

Andy.

The 2 seater non-targa 280ZX has always had a problem with the headlining. As part of the Euro package, the fibre board was covered with a foam backed material. The foam deteriorates with age and the lining sags. The only answer is to get it out and recover.
The Japanese home market cars had a different pressed card headlining with a vinyl covering which doesn't seem to have this problem. I was lucky enough to source one for my IMSA 280ZX and the problem was solved!
Z31 300ZX owners suffer similarly.

The job of getting the headlining out is bigger than you might expect as everything overlaps back to it. In other words, if you were assembling the interior from scratch, the headlining would be the first part to be installed!
:unsure:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mike can you confirm it was vinyl originally in the 2-seater,i will then purchase some and retrim.I assume something to replace the foam is also required to reduce condensation/noise,so shall enquire with the Trimmers.

Andy.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mike can you confirm please it was vinyl in the 2-seater,i will the purchase some and retrim.Will look to replace the foam to reduce condensation/noise,shall get Trimmers to advise.

Andy.

Back