260z flatop carbs

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
i have a set of these on my bluebird and the bluebird isnt running nice. i changed the oil and it was full of petrol, so i guess it is running rich or something like that.
how do i set the carbs? they look different from all the other carbs i have had on other cars.

I think the basic idea with the 260z carbs is to replace them with some 240z ones.
but I'd think they'll need very different needles on the smaller bluebird engine.

the bluebird came with these carbs from the datsun factory. So i dont want to change them for anything i just want them to work properly.
How do i adjust these carbs?

The flat-top carbs have a power valve module on one side. On the 260Z the diaphragm in this often deteriorates, giving over rich mixture.
You should have a glass sight plate to check fuel level in the float bowl (might need a mirror to see it!) - make sure the fuel level is not too high.
Check needles and jets for high wear.
Check inlet valve assemblies are not sticking.
Check dashpot oil level and damper spring for binding.
Check carbs are in balance and opening simultaneously.
These are emissions carburettors and not designed for easy dis-assembly and tinkering - you are restricted in terms of adjustment to float level, balance and mixture adjustment via the separate bleed screw.

The Bluebird ran a different variant of the flat top carb than what was on the 260z. These are supposed to be a bit more user friendly than the 260z flat top from what I gather. Sorry though, no experience of this variant.

Back