260z/280z rear indicator lenses

Dale

Club Member
I have a couple of full light units spare but some have issues (broken/rusty bolts etc) so I thought as it’s just the orange lenses that are really required by people with US imports I’d dismantle them to see if they are useable.

It required the sealant heating up with a hairdryer to soften the glue and then the lens prised away (easier to push through the bulbs aperture with something. I used a rubber handle of a tool). With the sealant warmed up it can be scraped off the unit fairly easily and WD40 to get any left over residue off. New sealant/glue in and then the lens simply pushed into place until the glue goes off.

I know there are still some second hand Euro units around but they may have their own issues and if someone has a perfectly good US unit then then this could be a viable option to convert them to Euro spec to save a few quid for a couple of hours work?

I’ve cleaned these up, wet sanded with a few fine grits, compounded and polished and they have come up lovely.

Testing the water at £120 delivered for the pair. It looks like used full units are being advertised at about that or more for one.

Attachments

• 939A291D-BD26-4AC1-BAF3-BB553FF9C193.jpeg
    939A291D-BD26-4AC1-BAF3-BB553FF9C193.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 38
  • 72B44A33-5EE3-40C6-9A0D-06276AB89A0A.jpeg
    72B44A33-5EE3-40C6-9A0D-06276AB89A0A.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 36
I have a couple of full light units spare but some have issues (broken/rusty bolts etc) so I thought as it’s just the orange lenses that are really required by people with US imports I’d dismantle them to see if they are useable.

It required the sealant heating up with a hairdryer to soften the glue and then the lens prised away (easier to push through the bulbs aperture with something. I used a rubber handle of a tool). With the sealant warmed up it can be scraped off the unit fairly easily and WD40 to get any left over residue off. New sealant/glue in and then the lens simply pushed into place until the glue goes off.

I know there are still some second hand Euro units around but they may have their own issues and if someone has a perfectly good US unit then then this could be a viable option to convert them to Euro spec to save a few quid for a couple of hours work?

I’ve cleaned these up, wet sanded with a few fine grits, compounded and polished and they have come up lovely.

Testing the water at £120 delivered for the pair. It looks like used full units are being advertised at about that or more for one.
PM sent
Steve

This set is sold, but I could possibly do another pair if there was anyone else interested.

Cheers

I’ve got a couple of sets of euro lights ,I didn’t realise how much people are asking for them now days,much cheaper way to go

Back